1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

weird electrical problem.. starter???

Posted by crazyquik22023, Feb 19, 2010

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. crazyquik22023

crazyquik22023 Proven Member

Joined Sep 14, 2008
    Akron, Ohio
    ok so i was trying to figure out why no electricity in my car worked.. i replaced all fuses checked lines etc. well for some reason when i moved the ground cable on the battery everything started working again. I had the key to ignition and i was tuning with dsmlink but as soon as i try to crank the engine all electronics shut down. but they work again after i go and shake the ground cable. the ground cable is secure and i have no idea why this would be happening. the car doesnt try to crank at all as soon as i try to turn the key all electricity dies. So would this be a bad ground to the starter or a bad starter all together.. let me know what u guys think thanks

850  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    12.900 @ 115.000 · 2G DSM
  2. Black95awd

Black95awd Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2008
    Bangor, Maine
    I had a similar issue with mine and the cable itself was corroded and nasty enough so I just had to replace it. I am assuming you are talking the one that is about 8 inches long from the battery to the fire wall. I know it sounds like a stupid thing to happen, but its a cheap fix if it works.

3. TheAButton

TheAButton Proven Member

Joined Jul 7, 2008
    Selah / Yakima, Washington
    I think it's probably just a bad ground, also check your battery terminals to, to make sure they have a good clean connection

352  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  4. crazyquik22023

crazyquik22023 Proven Member

Joined Sep 14, 2008
    Akron, Ohio
    my battery is actually relocated in the trunk but yes im talking about the 8 in cable from the chassis to the ground terminal on the battery.

if i wiggle the ground cable the lights or anything don't flicker but as soon as i try to crank everything just dies... u think that would be a bad ground cable (the one from the chassis to the ground battery terminal)??

850  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    12.900 @ 115.000 · 2G DSM
  5. TheAButton

TheAButton Proven Member

Joined Jul 7, 2008
    Selah / Yakima, Washington
    Whoop sry about not posting back sooner, but that does sound like a bad ground to me. Since you also have your battery in the trunk what did you do for the grounds?

352  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  6. 2g_TalonTSI

2g_TalonTSI Probationary Member

Joined Feb 22, 2010
    Denver, Colorado
    yea its a bad ground. clean your terminals on the battery and the connections on the wires if that doesnt work then get new cables