The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink Weird cold start idle surge after wbo2 narrowband simulation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisman287

Proven Member
Jul 19, 2021
New_York
Not sure if I'm having this issue because my wbo2 settings are incorrect (what shows in link vs what the gauge reads are not exactly the same (link shows richer)) or if my nbo2 settings are incorrect (switch point I went off the instructions but not sure about delay for the front o2). I also changed a few cells on the factory sd map to get idle to sit around 14.7

Surge starts around 37.7 secs and when rpms drop the afrs go stupid lean. Eventually the car died after surging a few times. I restarted the car and it did the same thing a few more times until it died again. After the third start it leveled out and held idle like it always does

Unfortunately I only have this one log. I was trying to take a few more but hit start stream instead of start capture.

Attachments

• log.2024.03.09-01.elg
    51.3 KB · Views: 11
Looking at that log the first thing that stands out is you never reach coolant temps that would cause the ECU to enter closed loop and idle. The other thing I saw what that your Omni4Bar was all over the place and never showed a good strong vacuum.
There is no signs of classic idle surging where the InjOn goes to 0 until the RPMs drop and the ECU turns the injectors back on.

At 37 sec in the From O2 drops, idle speed starts dropping, the little vacuum it's been reading drops and starts reading boost the injector pulse increases and as the RPMs continue to drop the timing falls to 5*

I'd start by looking at your MAP sensor and look at how you installed the WBO2.

Looking at that log the first thing that stands out is you never reach coolant temps that would cause the ECU to enter closed loop and idle. The other thing I saw what that your Omni4Bar was all over the place and never showed a good strong vacuum.
There is no signs of classic idle surging where the InjOn goes to 0 until the RPMs drop and the ECU turns the injectors back on.

At 37 sec in the From O2 drops, idle speed starts dropping, the little vacuum it's been reading drops and starts reading boost the injector pulse increases and as the RPMs continue to drop the timing falls to 5*

I'd start by looking at your MAP sensor and look at how you installed the WBO2.
It was 100% cold start. It’s the only time it does it. I’ll have to take more logs today

My MAP sensor isn’t an Omni I got it from Auber Instruments but wasn’t sure how to set it up so selected that. Maybe you can help there based on this info I had previously got from them

Wbo2 was wired in using a relay

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here are a couple more logs

First is 100% cold start again it does the surge thing a few times

Second is once it leveled out back to normal-ish idle

Third is me lowering the deadtime to try to get the STFT to 0. Tried adjusting global to get LTFT Lo to 0 also but doesn't seem to

Attachments

• log.2024.03.10-01.elg
    203.7 KB · Views: 10
  • log.2024.03.10-02.elg
    22.3 KB · Views: 15
  • log.2024.03.10-03.elg
    12.9 KB · Views: 11
Looks a lot like a 4 bar GM MAP sensor.

I'll let the SD tuning guys comment but I didn't see anything fundamentally different.
The AirflowPerRev is too high, the MAP reading doesn't make any sense, it look like you had to restart the car but the ECU doesn't see KeyStart @80 sec.

With SD your MAP sensor is a major part of how the ECU calculates air mass and yours looks broken to me.

Looks a lot like a 4 bar GM MAP sensor.

I'll let the SD tuning guys comment but I didn't see anything fundamentally different.
The AirflowPerRev is too high, the MAP reading doesn't make any sense, it look like you had to restart the car but the ECU doesn't see KeyStart @80 sec.

With SD your MAP sensor is a major part of how the ECU calculates air mass and yours looks broken to me.
It is a GM style 4 bar

I can try to get AirflowPerRev lower but the car is cammed I don’t think I can get it to .25

Starter is on a push button so no KeyStart I guess. I restarted it twice I think in that first log

Please fix these.
Switched to a Innovate MTX-L Plus and put an actual GM brand 3 bar map sensor (12223861). I haven't driven the car yet but it seems much better

First log is just idle and second it giving some revs in neutral

Attachments

• log.2024.04.04-01.elg
    12.3 KB · Views: 10
  • log.2024.04.04-02.elg
    16.8 KB · Views: 6
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back