The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Weird Clutch Wear with Findanza/South Bend/ACT 2600 Combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High PSI

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2004
USA, Australia
Combo:
- ACT 2600 Pressure Plate (about 25,000 Miles)
- Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel (About 5,000 Miles)
- South Bend TZ/FE-Series Custom Clutch Disk (Full Face Kevlar/Feramic Clutch Disk) - "Stage 3 Endurance" (About 5,000 Miles)

I purchased the clutch disk and findanza aluminum flywheel about 5,000 miles ago to use with an existing ACT 2600 PP that I had . The engine spun a bearing so I'm replacing the shorblock and of course pulled the clutch for inspection while I was at it. I was surprised to find the clutch and flywheel had some odd, uneven wear on the surface and I'm trying to determine the cause. I also noticed some hot-spots on the ACT 2600 PP. The car has been used for daily driving and long road-trips almost exclusively, with only one or two street launches for data logging purposes. I.e., not abused.

I am just looking for advice as to whether or not any of these pieces are still usable and also what the potential cause of this uneven wear might be. It looks to me like the uneven wear is caused by the Findanza flywheel, so I'm hesitant to just buy a new Fidanza friction disk, South Bend clutch disk, and re-install.

Attachments

• IMG_2535.jpg
    IMG_2535.jpg
    603.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2536.jpg
    IMG_2536.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2537.jpg
    IMG_2537.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2539.jpg
    IMG_2539.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2540.jpg
    IMG_2540.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 170
It looks like it wasn't making full contact on the flywheel and likely was slipping some because of that, I would re-use everything other than that pressure plate, as to why it wasn't making contact it could be because it wasn't bedded in yet or just incompatibility issues with the pressure plate and flywheel leaving the wrong clearances for the disk.

It looks like it wasn't making full contact on the flywheel and likely was slipping some because of that, I would re-use everything other than that pressure plate, as to why it wasn't making contact it could be because it wasn't bedded in yet or just incompatibility issues with the pressure plate and flywheel leaving the wrong clearances for the disk.

I never felt it slip, athough the car was only running a maxed-out ported 14B (33lb/min). I was actually least concerned about the pressure plate as that side of the clutch disk looks to have worn pretty evenly with a slight gradiant in color change from the inside out. It's the flywheel side that has obvious "rings" of wear at the clutch disk rivets and at the outer edge. I don't see how the pressure plate could affect this?

I'll take the pp off your hands if you replace it. But anyway check the PP for warp with a straight edge. I don't think that wear looks all that unusual.

As said to motomattx above, it's the uneven wear on the flywheel side that concerns me. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but if I had brake rotors that looked like that I'd be thinking there was something very wrong.

I'll check with the straight-edge. I've also E-mailed South Bend and will report back with their thoughts.

Have you checked the pivot ball and clutch fork?
Have not, though I think that would only effect engagement/dis-engagement and don't understand how that could case uneven wear across the surface of the clutch disk and/or flywheel?

Have not, though I think that would only effect engagement/dis-engagement and don't understand how that could case uneven wear across the surface of the clutch disk and/or flywheel?

Oh yeah. My bad. You’re completely right.

Seems the finger spring were contacting to the clutch disc.
You should re-check the height and the adjustment. Didn't you shim too much or use an extension rod?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Seems the finger spring were contacting to the clutch disc.
You should re-check the height and the adjustment. Didn't you shim too much or use an extension rod?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It was a good 6 and a half years ago when I installed the clutch, but I don't recall having to "shim" anything. As the flywheel and clutch were both brand new I assumed that the step would be to spec as installed.

What do you mean by an extension rod?

It was a good 6 and a half years ago when I installed the clutch, but I don't recall having to "shim" anything. As the flywheel and clutch were both brand new I assumed that the step would be to spec as installed.

What do you mean by an extension rod?
Assumed...yup. you must always measure. Even new parts.

Thanks very much for that. Lots of good info there. In the interim I also came across this:
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/clutchandflywheeltech.htm

To be honest, a lot more to the clutch than I originally thought. Done many clutch jobs before but on all of my other cars I've used PPs and clutch disks from the same manufacturer, and a flat flywheel...so this stepped flywheel + friction plate + PP and Disk being from two different manufacturers really throws a wrench in things.

I'll measure the step tomorrow. I'll also contact South Bend and ACT for their suggested steps, as well as see if either of them will comment on their compatability (or lack thereof).

I also came across this in my research:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/having-tranny-issues-at-high-rpm-5-speed.381461/

At the bottom of the page is this comment:
"What clutch are you running? If it is a ACT clutch they recommend a shim under the pivot ball to give you a little extra release. Not sure how thick , but ive heard at least the thickness of arp head stud washer."

Has anyone else come across this? This is the first I've heard...though in your own thread that you linked to above, "GST with PSI" says:
"90% of ACT clutch setups will shift like sh** (or not at all) at or near redline for the reasons Paul mentioned above. The 10% that do shift fine are the result of luck, or extensive modification to the clutch system. There's no easy way around it."

You are using an incompatible pressure plate with that disk is what it is appearing to me from the wear on the underside of the pressure plate diaphragm springs.

Measure the flywheel friction surface for flatness.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back