The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Water pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiTempguy

Probationary Member
Jan 13, 2010
Red Deer, AB_Canada
One of the talon's belts was slipping, so I decided to replace it today. I had also thrown a belt a couple of weeks ago, which I found odd until I noticed it was cracked and old :rolleyes:

Sooo, that brings me to my current dilemma: my water pump pulley does not align with my alternator or crank pulley. I pulled the water pump pulley off to see if somebody had stuck a washer behind it, but no dice.

I am at a loss, could somebody have put a 95-99 water pump in? Could it be somebody used the wrong pullies (they are STOCK)?

Thanks guys for any help, I don't know what I'll do if its the wrong water pump (or equipment in general), I currently do not have the time, cash, or space to replace it :sosad:

No, what I'm saying is the water pump pulleys line up perfectly with the crank, ps, and alt pulleys. The alt belt and the ps belt closest edges are then about 1/8" apart when measured horizontally where they go onto the water pump pulley.

Note: I'm looking at a 2g (my 99 GST). I don't have a 1g so I'm assuming it's the same. If not, perhaps someone can explain here. But either way it sounds like you've not got factory compatible parts.

The 1g's have a separate belt for the power steering, v-belt instead of ribbed as well. Do you have a pic of the problem pulley in relation to the other pulleys? Did you check the water pump to make sure the shaft wasn't worn and pulling out? I can't figure out what else could be wrong if you installed the two pulley's cup side in. Did you check for wear marks on the outer pulley to determine which side was facing out? There will be a little bit of wear from the bolt face being torqued down.

I second the picture posting,

I had a similiar problem happen to my 1G, and it was becuase the water pump was going out, the shaft started to move out of place becuase the bearings wore out and becuase of that it starting making a horrendous noise which tipped me off that it was time to replace my water pump. The factory pumps are only good for about 60,000 to 80,000 miles I believe, that way they go out before your timing belt goes out. How does the shaft on your water pump turn?

I second the picture posting,

I had a similiar problem happen to my 1G, and it was becuase the water pump was going out, the shaft started to move out of place becuase the bearings wore out and becuase of that it starting making a horrendous noise which tipped me off that it was time to replace my water pump. The factory pumps are only good for about 60,000 to 80,000 miles I believe, that way they go out before your timing belt goes out. How does the shaft on your water pump turn?

If I get the time next weekend, I'll look at taking it apart again. Something is making a "horrendous noise", I wasn't able to pinpoint it.

When I bought the car, I was told it had recently received a new timing belt. I am highly skeptical, as I can't imagine replacing the timing belt on this car without doing all of the other belts/tensioners/water pump while you were in there.

If I get the time next weekend, I'll look at taking it apart again. Something is making a "horrendous noise", I wasn't able to pinpoint it.

When I bought the car, I was told it had recently received a new timing belt. I am highly skeptical, as I can't imagine replacing the timing belt on this car without doing all of the other belts/tensioners/water pump while you were in there.

There will always be a difference between doing something and doing something correctly! Also keep in mind that it more than likely wasn't replaced by a professional who would have highly recommended replacing the other parts since the labor would be the same either way. With that in mind, it's also possible that new parts were incorrectly installed and are prematurely failing as a result. If you want the peace of mind, buy genuine Mitsu parts and especially gaskets (non mitsu gaskets are 50/50 at best w/dsm's unlike other brand cars) and start from scratch with Mitsubishi pumps and belts.

You still haven't posted a pic so it's all just a guessing game at this point. 1000 words and all that...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back