The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Valve keepers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenuwine4g63

10+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2009
Charlotte, North_Carolina
Ok guys my arms, hands and back is killing me:cry:..I've been installing the springs, valves, retainers and keepers in my other head. I've been using the needle nose pliers to install the keepers. Today im officially done with that im in pain..what other DIY options are out there to install thes keepers a better way.

buy yourself a 10" C-clamp and have a muffler shop weld a modified spark plug socket to it. If you cut yourself a window into the socket, once the spring is compressed with the c-clamp you should be able to sneak the keepers in with a magnet or a screwdriver and some heavy grease (to adhere keeper onto screwdriver tip). Cost me around $30 to have mine rigged up, and it worked like a champ.

I almost forgot, there should be a writeup on making the compressor on this site somewhere.

buy yourself a 10" C-clamp and have a muffler shop weld a modified spark plug socket to it. If you cut yourself a window into the socket, once the spring is compressed with the c-clamp you should be able to sneak the keepers in with a magnet or a screwdriver and some heavy grease (to adhere keeper onto screwdriver tip). Cost me around $30 to have mine rigged up, and it worked like a champ.

I almost forgot, there should be a writeup on making the compressor on this site somewhere.

Ok so this will work??? I went out and bought a 8in c-clamp yesterday and a 3/4 deep socket to cut. I left the stuff in my moms work van so i went back to the pliers. Will that 3/4 deep socket be big enough? what size is your socket..LOL, On the other hand i probably wont get it welded either. thanks for the advice tho

Mitsubishi 4G63 Valve Spring Compressor

I used this with success. It comes with a magnetic little flat-head screwdriver which is especially useful with the valve keepers. I would suggest when your compressing and decompressing the springs use some WD40 or other spray lubricant otherwise the keepers like to stick to the springs.

Like stated above, when re-installing the keepers, I use some sort of grease.
1. Use grease to keep the keeper stuck onto the edge of a small flathead screwdriver.
2. Put a touch of grease on the keeper to keep it to stick to the valve once you get it in there.
Once you get one keeper on there you can swivel it around to where you can get the other on as well.

I use a cut out spark plug socket, c-clamp, magnet, and tweezers. I can do a set of valve stem seals in a 16 valve head, in about 20-30 minutes.

No dont cut a socket! Just get an oxygen sensor socket. Which you should already have anyway.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Any why would you weld it to the C-clamp? Thats a waste of two tools...I just duct tape it to the clamp...when its compressing it presses against the socket anyway so its not going anywhere.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back