The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Twistaye's restoration build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, picked up another GSX. I have been wanting another project for a while and finally at the point where funds aren't the major factor in anything. Was contemplating picking up another Evo 9 but decided to get back into the DSM game.

This makes #6, LOL
- 95 GST, 95 GSX, 90 GSX, 91 GVR4, 06 Evo 9 and now this one!

I picked up a shell and a 2.3 stroker from a member here on tuners a few weeks ago and have been slowly having at it to get it running again.

The shell is in okay condition - with the exception of the rocker panels. Strut towers are solid. Rocker panels will need to be completely cut out and new ones rewelded on. I didn't take too many pictures when I started working on it but I'll try to do better, LOL.

Current plan:
- Get the car running and work out all the kinks before I start the actual tear down of the vehicle. I want to know that I have literally everything and it's working before I actually tear into the car.

Here's the future plans for the build:
- Car will be strictly street and maybe see a drag strip once or twice
- Complete tear down to frame
- Body repair (mainly the rust on the rockers, but I'm sure some other trouble areas will make themselves known)
- Paint (I'm either going to stay white or go with the graphite grey in honor of my old Evo 9)
- Built trans / tcase
- Black interior swap
- Speed Density
- Coil-overs

I love the lines of the 2g GSX, although I prefer a 2gB I think I'm going to stick with the 2gA styling.

Last edited:
So a quick breakdown on everything that has transpired over the past couple weeks:
- Got the car dropped off from my buddy (OKC to Lawton)
- Car had the engine in it and I was initially told there was only a few things needed in order to have it running (fuel system, wheel bearing, rust repair)
- Picked up a BUNCH of used parts from members here, on the DSM Facebook community and bought some stuff new from ExtremePSi and STM. (AFPR, Walbro 255, FIC 950cc injectors, fuel rail fittings)
- Went on a spending spree and bartered and ordered even more parts (All new belts, vacuum lines, misc bolts and nuts that were either broken or completely missing (I'm looking at you slave cylinder), manual boost controller, EPROM ECU with ECMLink V3)
- Went ahead and installed the fuel system (Has anyone said recently how much of a pain those 20+ year old fittings are?), which originally consisted only of the above items and then I went and broke the fuel line below the tank. Not my fault - the fitting decided it just wanted to separate and spin in place while spitting fuel on the ground. Went ahead and picked up the STM fuel tank to rail kit and got that all installed (which is awesome btw!!).
- Started replacing miscellaneous parts and running vacuum lines while waiting for other parts to come in and came across a post about an FP black.. which was in my mind so I offered up a S16G and some cash on it... and he said let's do it! So I went ahead and picked up the FP black which is set-up for an external wastegate.
- I used to have an a'pexi n1 on my old GST which I absolutely loved - and I happened to find an AWD version for pretty cheap on the classifieds so I picked that up! Installation went...... not quite as smooth as my old GST. I'm missing exhaust hangars in the rear so I ended up doing some custom mounts until I can get some new stock ones or actually weld-in the proper hangars.
- Picked up a used o2 housing and external tail wastegate
- Beat up my water pipe so the compressor cover of the FP black didn't hit it - everything is now installed!
- Decided to buy a rear 2g LSD axle since I know for a fact mine will be a nightmare to take off... and GO FIGURE YOU CANNOT GET THEM ANYWHERE but I was able to score a set of axles from a member on here for $200. Sure beats the raxle rebuild price and the other two options (DSS and the upgraded one from Strictly performance)
- Attempted to remove my rear axle... yeah.. exactly as expected. The castle nut was completely welded to the axle shaft. I literally had to pry it sideways while applying torque in order to get it to even budge a little bit. After removal of the castle nut it literally has no threads left, nor does the axle itself. I'm going to attempt to rethread the axle and see what happens but my extra set is on the way just incase this doesn't work out. M22-1.50 IIRC if anyone is interested in the die set
- Definitely missing a bunch of steps... maybe I'll fill this in as I go. I'm horrible at documenting stuff - LOL. I'll try to do better in the future so I have a complete build journal so others can follow along - especially since these cars are getting rarer.

- Oh... did I mention that the "few little things needed" turned out to be a million little things needed once I started actually digging into it.. fun stuff!

Here are some pictures of the FP black I picked up, got high hopes that this will be fun!!

IMG_20180409_121741.jpgIMG_20180409_121732.jpgIMG_20180409_121722.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back