The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Twin Scroll hx35 vs BEP .55 Bolt-on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am not running this in a dsm platform, it will be in a rwd with a GM auto trans.

Anyone pushing the BEP hit it's limits real quick. Just look, every stock hotside hx35 (7,8 blade, WH1C) makes more power than almost any BEP hotsided holset. Seems like most BEP HX40's are lucky to get out of the 12's and pull 115mph traps.
I disagree entirely. The highest-dynoed HX40 on a DSM (685whp) was done with a BEP .55 a/r T3 housing, and the current HX40 E.T. and trap speed leader (10.14 @ 138) is using an open T3-flanged .70 a/r BEP housing....neither came from the factory on a HX40.

In time there may be some setups using factory Holset housings which outrun those current record holders, but for now this is what has gone down.

Now none of this applies to the HX35. As stated above, the HX35 turbine is around the size of a TD06 Mitsu turbine. The BEP .55 a/r housing is a quick way to make a HX35 fit a DSM and lay down airflow numbers that can't be matched by a similar-sized Garrett. The 7-blade HX35 compressor is nearly the same spec as a T04E50 Garrett compressor, but the 7-blade HX35 wheel has 10-12 lb/min of additional airflow hidden inside it...you just need to run a larger turbine housing than .55 a/r to let the compressor breathe.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It all boils down to whether you want quick spool or higher peak airflow numbers....or you can have both if you keep the factory 12cm HX35 housing and fab a true twin-scroll manifold.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran last year with a bolt on mitsu housing on an hx35, this year I have a twin scroll setup for it and I will compare the differences. This one will actually make it to a dyno before being tore apart tho. Ill probably be disapointed by the low numbers and go with a hx40 before years end so maybe that will be a possibility to be compared in with it to.

I know you guys want to keep this and hx35 thread. But here is the HX.40 with 55. A/R. I Cant find the 685hp video but here is a 663 hp and 655tq video and a couple more videos of the 685 hp car. Car is running Wolf 3D. I personally seen this car take out one of the fastest shop street cars in NY sponsored by AMS it was one hell of a race The car is No Joke!

YouTube - Turbo Sharky 2g Talon Crazy Torque 663hp 655tq Holset Hx40
YouTube - Turbosharky 2g Talon Holset hx40
YouTube - Turbo Sharky Launch
YouTube - AMS Redbull Vs TurboSharky Eclipse

Me myself im am be going twin scroll because the one manifold aint cutting it for me.

Would running the stock twin scroll Hx35 with an open manifold really hurt spool time that much. I would think that it would spool like a BEP t3 .70 A/R . I know of course it will not be nearly as good as a full twin scroll setup. my point kinda is all the people buying The BEP t3.70a/r, is it worth it rather than just keeping the stocker on ? I know Ive heard ppl running the stocker on an open manifold so im curious what the spool differance would be?

Would running the stock twin scroll Hx35 with an open manifold really hurt spool time that much. I would think that it would spool like a BEP t3 .70 A/R . I know of course it will not be nearly as good as a full twin scroll setup. my point kinda is all the people buying The BEP t3.70a/r, is it worth it rather than just keeping the stocker on ? I know Ive heard ppl running the stocker on an open manifold so im curious what the spool differance would be?

I had an 8 blade hx35 with the stock backhousing and open manifold. I got full boost of 35-38lbs after 5k rpms. It was definitely slower spooling but it didn't matter for me cause I revved the car to 8500-9000rpms.

richard what kinda manifold did you use on your Hx35?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back