The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Twin Scroll hx35 vs BEP .55 Bolt-on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kicker91laser

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2003
Desoto, Missouri
Which one spools the quickest? I am not looking at the amount of power one could make vs the other, just spool.

I don't know for sure wich one will spool faster, but if I were to guess I would think that the bep would spool a tiny bit faster than a true twinscroll setup by maybe 1-200 rpms. I do think the twinscroll would help with mpg because of the increased VE. I'm going the twinscroll rought.

I don't know for sure wich one will spool faster, but if I were to guess I would think that the bep would spool a tiny bit faster than a true twinscroll setup by maybe 1-200 rpms. I do think the twinscroll would help with mpg because of the increased VE. I'm going the twinscroll rought.

WTF?

Twin scroll will spool faster.

Does anyone have any proven spool times? I would really like to know which setup will have the quickest spool/response. I am not concerned about cost comparisons.

If Mr Peepers results are the norm, I can guarantee you will not be disapointed. The BEP housing might spool quicker, but its so restrictive on top it will be hard to make good power with it.

I run a H1E turbine in a 20cm t3 housing and I see 25psi by 5000. Thats pretty damn good to me for being a less than optimal setup.

I have'nt heard of BEP housings being choked out too easy?

Then you don't look. Anyone pushing the BEP hit it's limits real quick. Just look, every stock hotside hx35 (7,8 blade, WH1C) makes more power than almost any BEP hotsided holset. Seems like most BEP HX40's are lucky to get out of the 12's and pull 115mph traps. My first time ever at the drags I went 11.85@121 on a $125 T3 WH1C, on a cheap SFP T4 mani with an adaptor plate. Then I went 12.10's@116 the next weekend on 93oct. You can buy cast t3 manifolds on ebay for next to nothing, no reason to handicap yourself with a BEP housing.

Then you don't look. Anyone pushing the BEP hit it's limits real quick. Just look, every stock hotside hx35 (7,8 blade, WH1C) makes more power than almost any BEP hotsided holset. Seems like most BEP HX40's are lucky to get out of the 12's and pull 115mph traps. My first time ever at the drags I went 11.85@121 on a $125 T3 WH1C, on a cheap SFP T4 mani with an adaptor plate. Then I went 12.10's@116 the next weekend on 93oct. You can buy cast t3 manifolds on ebay for next to nothing, no reason to handicap yourself with a BEP housing.

450whp and 685whp is what they have made. That would keep you in the 12s? Less forum and more driving!
1/8 Mile: 7.723 @ 94.770
60' Time: 1.809

I ran an 8.0 @ 90.00 with a junk tune with a 1.68 60ft. :) That was on a "choked" down td05 20g though :(

450whp and 685whp is what they have made. That would keep you in the 12s? Less forum and more driving!

I ran an 8.0 @ 90.00 with a junk tune with a 1.68 60ft. :) That was on a "choked" down td05 20g though :(

Ya, those are the exceptions. Vast majority doesn't see those results tho!

Ok guys, from what I am reading, it looks like a bolt-on hx35 sees a good amount of boost by 3500, so I may go this route, unless someone can show me that they spool quicker on a small TS housing. Fwiw, this will be the small turbo in a compound setup, on a 2.3 hence why overall hp or flow is not an issue to me. It may be a little cheaper/easier to run one single large wastegate instead of plumbing two back together anyways.

The 685 was on a t3 bep .55 a/r housing not the mitsu flanged housing if I remember correctly.

I would have to say twin scroll housing. Mr. Peepers car spools like a freak! I think in 3rd gear getting 30psi shortly after 3krpm! I think it would be hard to beat that.

In my opinion, the spool times between a small TS housing and the .55 mitsu flanged housing are close enough that the .55 BEP housing should get the nod from a design standpoint. For a compound setup, you need as much room as you can get and as you mentioned, not having to route 2 wastegates together saves valuable space.

The 685 was on a t3 bep .55 a/r housing not the mitsu flanged housing if I remember correctly.

I would have to say twin scroll housing. Mr. Peepers car spools like a freak! I think in 3rd gear getting 30psi shortly after 3krpm! I think it would be hard to beat that.

I thought the BEP T3 housings were .70 a/r?

Last edited:
The t3 housings with the v-band outlets are .70, the .55 t3 has a mitsu style outlet iirc.

685whp on a t3 .55 hx35?! Where is this? Link to dyno?

What is the most on bep mitsu housing? I'm assuming it should be in the high 500s if 685 was done in t3 .55

It was; but the a/r of both housings is the same (.55), so the end flow result will be the same. It doesn't matter how wide the mouth of the housing is when the volute width and nozzle area is the same.

You guys need to remember- the HX35 turbine wheel is only around the size of a TD06 turbine, so it's going to be limited to a much lower airflow number than the HX40 turbine in a bolt-on .55 a/r housing no matter how big the compressor is. You could have an 80 lb/min compressor, but you're only going to flow as much as the small turbine and turbine housing will allow. This is where the twin-scroll technology takes over- you get the spool of a small a/r housing combined with the mass flow rate of a large a/r housing.

From what everyone on this site has told me a twin scroll with a divided header will spool the fastest depending upon which exhaust housing you run, 12cm being more ideal. Are you looking for over all spool time for street driving or for racing?
If this is for the street and just good spool for over all driving then i would still go with a twin scroll and a divided header/manifold. Other things you could consider if your worried about spool is maybe throwing a functioning cyclone intake into the mix. This will not help your top end at all but if your just worried about spool it will help along with cam timing. I ran a h1c BEP housing and cyclone and i was seeing 20 lbs by 3400-3500 rpm on a stock 6bolt bottom end.

Any idea where i would see full spool on an H1C on a non-bep T3 housing? I'm just wondering because i got offered a good deal on a H1C/T3 mani/Wastegate combo. Around 4K rpm?
And correct me if i'm wrong but,
T3 housing= slower spool+more power up top.
BEP DSM housing=faster spool+less power up top.
Right?

How much power you plan on making?
More than an hx35 can make, but with the response:)
It will be on an automatic, so the lower the rpms that I can make hp/tq, the tighter I can build the converter and be alot more streetable, plus have a helluva lot more useable power.

Mr. Peepers picked up a clean auto awd 91 which I believe he plans to basically put his holset set up on the auto. With his set up I am sure he will be able to get up on the stock stall just fine without needing a restall converter. I guess we will find out!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back