The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Turbo Seals

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slo2gen

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 26, 2005
Upstate, South_Carolina
I am about to purchase a used 14b but the guy that I may be getting it from said that it is in running condition but the seals may need to be replaced. Is it worth buying and just changing the seals or could there be other matters that I need to look at because of the seals needing to be replaced?

Its really up to you.Someone will charge you 200bucks to rebuild it,so if your getting it for extrmely cheap then i would say yeah.There are alot of good 14bs on ebay.I got a freshly rebuild 14b for 175.00 on ebay.You could also buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself but you run the risk of it not being balanced correctly then you will hurt it worse.

I would just wait to find a good one. Rebuilding a turbo isn't something you wanna tear into if you have never done it before. You can find a good on in great condition like said above for less than the cost of just a rebuild kit. I would wait until you find one in better condition.

I wouldn't get it. To much oil in to many places to look legit. I would stick to the classifieds here.

Yeah that one looks real good,and if it only has 5500 miles on it that thing will run for along time if its taken care of.I would try to win that auction.

Slo2gen said:
I am about to purchase a used 14b but the guy that I may be getting it from said that it is in running condition but the seals may need to be replaced. Is it worth buying and just changing the seals or could there be other matters that I need to look at because of the seals needing to be replaced?
I am leaning more towards it not being a good idea, however, I will present you with these facts, and leave the decision to you.

* A rebuild kit usually costs roughly $80-$100

* Rebuilding Mitsu. turbos is not difficult and can be done on your own. I, personally, would not pay to have it done. http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Turbo-rebuild.html

* It will have to be sent off to be rebalanced after the rebuild. I am unsure of the cost of this.

* A used, good condition 14B can be had for roughly $100-$130

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back