The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Turbo failure number 4, suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

untouchablecc

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 21, 2008
Mt. pleasant, Pennsylvania
I have gone through and ebay 16g, mhi 14b, mhi small 16g. I found out my engine was on its way out due too rod bearing number 4 shooting metal into the turbos.

Long story short I went and bought another bottem end and assembled it with new ACL tri metals and new rings. I plastigauged it and everything came out okay. Justin put together a used 14b with some old parts I gave him and some old bearings to use as a break in turbo. I am at 446 miles and the turbo is pretty much done. I can hear it hitting the compressor cover and the shaft play is outrageous. I do have a BSE and I have not ported the oil filter housing yet (working too much). Could it be left over metal deposits in the head causing this failure? If so should I just go ahead and get a preturbo filter? Also Im thinking I should just drop the pan and check to see if there is any metal laying in there.

Im just getting frustrated with this thing. Im trying to make it my daily but I have so much time tied up in it right now.

Did you get all the metal out of the head

EDIT: Since you asked the question, I'm assuming you didn't. Massive mistake.

I bet your bottom end has some scratched up bearings too.

Well forgive the noobish question but how would I get all the metal out? Just flush it with brake clean because I tried that.

I would have cleaned everything you never know whats hiding in the engine, hot tanked my stufff, everything not taking any chances any metal can run through the engine and destroy everything i know, had to rebuild my engine and everything in it. You could get another turbo, but you may have metal lurking around in there, its the chance you take especially if this is your dd, do it right or youll have another failed turbo.

Well forgive the noobish question but how would I get all the metal out? Just flush it with brake clean because I tried that.

Pull all of the oil galley plugs in the head, and clean it out with purple power. Remove the Hla's and flush them in diesel. It would also be a good time to do the valve seals.

untouchablecc said:

First things first you have to strip it down.

You need lots of compressed air and a good parts washer.

I can't express this enough, if you don't know what you're doing STEP AWAY. Questions are better than careless mistakes.

I would have cleaned everything you never know whats hiding in the engine, hot tanked my stufff, everything not taking any chances any metal can run through the engine and destroy everything i know, had to rebuild my engine and everything in it. You could get another turbo, but you may have metal lurking around in there, its the chance you take especially if this is your dd, do it right or youll have another failed turbo.

Im with you and I agree Im just so damn frustrated with it. Im either going to sell it or let it sit because I cant afford another engine overhaul and im tired of dumping money into it. The car isnt even that nice. Im just going to have to drive my 2g untill I can figure something out. I dunno If I should try running a preturbo filter and changing the oil a lot or if thats entirely a waste of time.

Well sir, you wouldn't be dumping so much money into this motor if you would have done things the right way. I can't express how much I hate hearing people dog dsms because they are unreliable when its either the owner or past owner's fault. The cars aren't getting any younger, but the generations owning them are. Take the head off the block, strip it down, and have it cleaned professionally - since you don't have the tools to do it. You'll also want to tear down the bottom end and front cover and put the block with the head into get hot tanked/cleaned. Let the person/company doing the cleaning know that you've had lots of metal shavings go thru, and make sure they get everything out - or warranty their work. If they'll back what they do to have no more metal shavings, and you fry another motor due to this, you at least have a leg to stand on. A pre turbo filter?? Your WHOLE MOTOR has metal shavings going thru it. Stop cheaping out, or you're going to pay more - again. Or sell it to someone who knows what they are doing, or is willing to take it to someone who does. This motor and turbo fall on your shoulders - not your cars.

Well sir, you wouldn't be dumping so much money into this motor if you would have done things the right way. I can't express how much I hate hearing people dog dsms because they are unreliable when its either the owner or past owner's fault. The cars aren't getting any younger, but the generations owning them are. Take the head off the block, strip it down, and have it cleaned professionally - since you don't have the tools to do it. You'll also want to tear down the bottom end and front cover and put the block with the head into get hot tanked/cleaned. Let the person/company doing the cleaning know that you've had lots of metal shavings go thru, and make sure they get everything out - or warranty their work. If they'll back what they do to have no more metal shavings, and you fry another motor due to this, you at least have a leg to stand on. A pre turbo filter?? Your WHOLE MOTOR has metal shavings going thru it. Stop cheaping out, or you're going to pay more - again. Or sell it to someone who knows what they are doing, or is willing to take it to someone who does. This motor and turbo fall on your shoulders - not your cars.

I did not dog my DSM at all. I did do things the right way with the bottom end I just neglected to think about the head. My car is unreliable from a past owner, It had a solid BSE in it causing the metal in the first place, and im trying to unhalf ass this car. Im burned out on other peoples junk. So spare me your younger generation story. Im 25 I know what im doing I just made a mistake (ever do that before?) spare me the younger generation crap, your opinion on the dsm generation has nothing to do with helping me in my problem so save it for the hangout forum. My 2g is fully built I did the engine work myself and I have no problems with it and I could daily it if it were back from paint.

I would rebuild the engine so its all clean, and start over maybe later.

I think your right. I just have 4 cars right now and 3 of them are pretty much junk and I just dont know what to do. I have a beat up 88 supra that I was dailying. Leaks oil. I have a 300zx thats blown up. This 1g thats been hell since I got it. And a 2g that damn near perfect and its just stressing me out cause I work 6 days a week and then in my spare time beating myself up in the garage on these things. I was trying to make a good winter car.

Brad- I can't help but resort back to that inline filter suggestion I gave after I tore down the first knockoff 16G and found metal. ;)

I do have one good knockoff CHRA here if you need something to get the car going....it was donated to me by Austin, I'll be a good man and pass it on if you really need it. :thumb:

The 14B I recently donated was assembled with good used parts that all were within spec. The rotating assembly was still the original balanced setup that was removed from a 14B given to me by Ricky; the only sketchy part of the whole setup was the worn journals in the housing, and that was the housing that you had given me when you brought that pile of turbos to my workplace that day. So despite the setup being built with used parts with full intent of being a "break-in turbo", it definitely should have lasted longer than 400 miles.

In order, he lost:

- The knockoff 16G that came on the car.
- A used 14B that he bought from the classifieds here.
- A brand new Small 16G that I built for him with entirely new parts, wheels and all.
- A "hacker-rebuilt" 14B that I set him up with as a "break-in" turbo for the new engine.

Did you replace the oil cooler after the bearing failure? They are nearly impossible to clean. I would never run a used oil cooler, especially if it was on an engine that had a bearing fail.

Those metal shavings find all kinds of places to hide when the bearings get ate up. It sucks but you have to literally strip everything down. pull the plugs on the head and block and have all of it cleaned. Also the oil pump and oil filter housing need to be completely cleaned. The OFH requires extra attention because it's very easy for particles to remain in the cooling portion.
Don't forget cleaning your lifters in deisel too. You have to pump them with deisel a lot and flush them out.
Start the engine with a cheap oil and filter. Bring it up to temperature and then shut it down and change the oil with some good stuff. Don't even drive it with that first oil, just use it to flush the engine.
Then you can go break in your piston rings with some good stuff like normal.

One thing thats nice about having a uncle who loves cars is we share property in the south to store some of the cars we share. I learned some lessons about keeping my engine clean, wasnt too bad i replaced a lot of things and learned more along the way.

Did you replace the oil cooler after the bearing failure? They are nearly impossible to clean. I would never run a used oil cooler, especially if it was on an engine that had a bearing fail.

I have an NA OFH so Im not running any type of oil cooler, liquid or air. This block has seen 1 turbo failure so far. Its not the same block the other 3 failed on so it has to be head related.

I agree justin, fully. It should have lasted longer I just thought I could clean the head but it just isnt enough. I guess I will go home and cut the filter apart for like the 12th time and we will see what it looks like. Even still I would love to avoid a hot tank but I dont think I will get very far changing the oil and putting a pre turbo filter on it. If I get this turbo off of you Im ordering a Inline filter from FP, like tonight.

This may sound stupid but maybe you have some metal in the feed line from the head (if you are feeding from the head, I didn't notice it stated anywhere). Just a thought. It wouldn't take much to plug up that tiny hole.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back