The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Turbo Bolt Question..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkURTnDSM92T

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 16, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
soo...i didnt use anti seize on my turbo bolts (the ones that go thru the exhaust manifold) and now one of them snapped...strength 11 my ass

my question is do you think I can remove it without taking everything apart? Let me know..

i've found that most of the time when those things snap, it's because they are kind of tweaked by the pressure of the turbo hanging relative to the angle of the manifold still on the engine. the best way to get them out is to loosen the bolts little by little, evenly until they come out, or if they are tight, just break them loose and loosent the m,anifold from the head so they aren't under stress.
however, now that you have a broken one in the turbo housing, remove the manifold, get some good sharp drill bits, and drill it out. then get a good tap 12x1.25 i believe, and fix teh threads on the turbo. if it's one of the forward bolts, you'll hve enough room, if it's one of the two back by the head, you'll most likely have to remove the turbo to get to them properly with the drill.

its the front right one... I will have to try this. Not sure if I have the right tap. Thanks

The turbo bolt is 10 x 1.25 mm personally I brought mine to a machine shop and they took out my broken stud for $20. An extra $20 to helicoil it.

Yeah so the machine shop said they can not get it out....

They said they were going to have to use a bridgeport or something = $100-150

These things are a real pain to get out. When I replaced my turbo a few months ago I had two busted and they took quite awhile to get out. I broke two easy-outs in the process and ended up just drilling them all the way out and going with a bolt/nut setup through those two holes. Like Terminaltsi said, make sure you have good SHARP drill bits, and if you try an EZout bolt remover then make sure to soak them really well with WD-40 or something beforehand so you have your best shot of actually breaking them loose.

Good luck!

There was no way I was going to easy out these bolts. The machine shop could not even heat them up and get them out. They ended up doing some pretty hardcore work and had to use a helicoil for one of the holes. All is well..moral of the story...USE ANTI SEIZE ON THESE BOLTS!!!

They arent that bad. Drill it out and tap it. Ive done it , not that big a deal.

DanThMan1983 said:
They arent that bad. Drill it out and tap it. Ive done it , not that big a deal.

You must have not touched a 1g that's 16 years old @ least with some nice seized up studs in a turbine housing. They suck. Once you use aftermarket bolts(Don't do it btw) or even OEM especially without anti-seize you're just asking for a broken stud. Drilling is a PAIN if you don't have a drill press. You'll end up breaking TITANIUM bits left and right. I've soaked with PB Blaster and WD-40 but in the end I've had no real luck with using those methods if they're plain stuck there. ANTI-SEIZE FTW!!!

Yes I had to pay the money to get it done, no choice... Pain but all and all not that big of a deal because I didnt have to spend countless hours trying to do it with the wrong/poor equipment.

The biggest problem was the fact that the seized bolts were stainless steel

Heat can help alot. Use a torch to heat up the bolts before you try breaking them loose. Also use the high temp copper based anti-seize.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back