The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Transmission noise cold start up, Goes away when warm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newdsmtnr96

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 16, 2005
Des Moines, Iowa
Ok so i start my car, Noise sounds like grinding, Push the clutch in grinding stops pull back out grinding starts. Could bad fluid do this? when its warm it goes away totaly. Sounds normal. I just want to make sure this goes away. No problems shifting and clutch grabs great. Replaced the TOB and the clutch release cyl. any one have these issues>? i cant figure out what it is.

What type of clutch is it, how old is the clutch could it be chatter?

Sounds like it could be the symptoms a bad tob like said above...

I switched to a stg2 from concept illusions. Clutch is still in great condition it has about 12000 miles on it not hard driving, TOB is whatever came with it .. Most likely a stock. But its possable its the Tob but would it go out that fast? I was thinking that the bad fluid possably could be the issue running thin. and when warm it expands, Im replace the fluid tonite. I dont know what to do

Its worth a try.
If that doesn't help the trans is gonna have to come out though because something isn't right and I would almost bet its the tob.

yeah it happends everytime it gets cold.. Last year it did the same thing but the colder the louder. I guess i never really payed attention last year. But it seems this year it is a little louder. Just to let every one know i have a 420a na low comp engine im running right now tih 500 miles on it.

Found exactly what it is. Its the transmission fluid. Lucus trans fluid gets really freaking thick and doesnt warm up for crap. so i got some of the cheapest fluid i could and put it in.. stoped.. I guess the bearings in the trans needed fluid. I wasnt real low but got a small ass leak.. any one know any way of fixing small small leaks?

Clutch engaged- input shaft bearing, pilot bearing or pocket bearing.

A TOB isn't the only bearing that goes bad in transmissions.

Most likely the trans needs replaced, But idk its like small drops it doesnt leak much.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
if there wasnt snow all over id take a pic. but its underneath, between bellhousing and trans, when i had engine out i inspected everything and everything from inside bell housing was replaced, so only thing left is inside trans.

^^To teh last 2 posters. He stated a few posts back that it's fixed. It was the fluid he was using. It was getting too thick in the cold and not lubing the bearings. Changed fluids and it's stopped from what i've read.

Most likely the trans needs replaced, But idk its like small drops it doesnt leak much.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
if there wasnt snow all over id take a pic. but its underneath, between bellhousing and trans, when i had engine out i inspected everything and everything from inside bell housing was replaced, so only thing left is inside trans.

The bell housing shouldn't contain any liquid. If there is its more then likely and output shaft seal leak.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back