The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

transmission issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonf90

Proven Member
Oct 11, 2012
davenport, Iowa
i noticed my 95 GSX was not wanting to shift into higher gears under pressure and "breaking up" (throttle all the way open) when i would have it maybe 60% throttle it would shift rather well. so the other day i was driving and i noticed a strange sound coming from my transmission like a slight rubbing or a humming. so i babied it home and i realized it was sticking in 3rd gear even when i put it in L and 2. also a clunking when putting it into reverse. could it be a bad torque converter? i also noticed high temps and my tranny fluid smelling "weird".

any help on diagnosis would be greatly apreciated

Edit: ALSO it would stutter at low rpm and die "idle" then other times it would be fine

Sounds like limp mode. Plenty of posts on that and ways to fix it can be found here on tuners.

Burnt smelling trans fluid could be due to overheating, slipping clutches, clogged cooler, clogged filter. The clunk could be u joints. You really need to locate each issue, and post back. Automatic transmission issues can be fun.

Last edited:
Sounds like limp mode. Plenty of posts on that and ways to fix it can be found here on tuners.
i looked up some things on limp mode but that doesnt really help to get to the root of the issue of it breaking up at high rpm. (before it was going 1-4 fine when at 60% throttle). like i would have to back off the gas when fully open just for it to shift to the next gear. also the rough shift into reverse and slow shifting from Neutral to drive.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back