The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Tranny goes into gear but doesn't move. Ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ltho98

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2003
New_MexicoUS
So last night i got way intoxicated and did the responsible thing instead and let the girl i just met at the bar drive me home /sarcasm

well.. she was having way too much fun in it and well it broke. It goes into gear, but you let out on the clutch and the car goes no where. I have a few ideas of what it could be, but i need the opinions of my fellow DSM'ers as well. So thoughts/suggestions?

I had the exact same thing happen today when I left school thismorning. i came to a stoplight and put it in first to go and let out and the car would just rev and not move. I am almost positive it is the throwout bearing. :thumbdown

12sec92Tsi said:
I had the exact same thing happen today when I left school thismorning. i came to a stoplight and put it in first to go and let out and the car would just rev and not move. I am almost positive it is the throwout bearing. :thumbdown

If the trans will go into gear and the car sit and not move it's definately not your throw out bearing. That has nothing to do with it.

You have either broken your diff, or snapped an axel. The transmission is moving as if the car is moving, but if the car is not moving then something is spinning and not putting power to the ground. That something is a broken axel or diff and you have done some serious damage to your transmission.

A throw out bearing is the bearing the clutch diaphram rides on when the clutch is depressed, it's not doing anything else any other time, this does not stop the transmission from working, they only get noisy when they fail like a wheel bearing.

So if it doesn't move at all it could be a diff, clutch, or driver's side axle? How can I tell which is the real problem. I dont want to just buy parts guessing and wasting money. My car sometimes moves on even ground but going uphill and if it even gets moving its like it comes out of gear and wont drive anymore. but most of the time it doesnt even start to move. i have an act 2600 which isnt very old but i guess it could be clutch? also have kaaz lsd that shouldnt have broke already. How do i know what to replace? thanx for the help. :talon:

I just did the same thing last week. Mine made a loud squealing noise though like my axle was stripping. I pulled the axle out and sure enough it was sort of stripped. There is another groove in the splines that looks almost like another snap ring should go. My new Kaaz dif where the axle goes into is also screwed up. That I'm betting is your problem. You could tell if it was your clutch. I am sending my tranny back to Shep this week so he can tear it apart and see what happened.

ltho98 said:
So last night i got way intoxicated and did the responsible thing instead and let the girl i just met at the bar drive me home /sarcasm

well.. she was having way too much fun in it and well it broke.
Cool! Your pal gets to buy you some repairs!

Another thing i noticed was that the speedometer moves like the car is moving but the car doesnt move. Does this mean its a clutch? thanx. :talon:

But if you broke one axle, doesn't the LSD make the wheel that is not moving start to spin?

I've never broken an axle, but and LSD should cause the non-spinning wheel to spin :confused:

12sec92Tsi said:
Another thing i noticed was that the speedometer moves like the car is moving but the car doesnt move. Does this mean its a clutch? thanx. :talon:

Definately not the clutch. The speedo cable is turned by the front diff, so the front diff is getting power.

If the front diff is spinning and the car isn't moving, then you have a broken front axle/ driveshaft.

It's possible the viscous coupler for the center diff is ruined from trying to drive your car with a broken axle, so the lsd function won't send hardly any power to the other wheels.

Does anyone know what ended up being the problem with this guys car? Mine is doing the similar but my speedo dont move but i know the clutch is ok I can feel it otherwise it would be laying on the floor most liekly.

Laserlance said:
Does anyone know what ended up being the problem with this guys car? Mine is doing the similar but my speedo dont move but i know the clutch is ok I can feel it otherwise it would be laying on the floor most liekly.
When I had that problem with my car it ended up being a blown axle. I just had both front axles replaced along with new ball joints and the car drove like it used to. But if your speedo isn't moving I'd check out your diff.

I want to do that but idk how to check out the differentials can you tell me how or would I have ot pull the tranny?

I don't know of any other way than to pull the tranny but if your speedo isn't moving then your diff most likely isn't spinning, so your best bet would be to pull it and check it out.

Ok I think I have the manpower and tools to get the tranny pulled, but how hard is it to change the differential, and what about the price? Or what if a shop did it for me is that pretty pricey?

I dont know about the price of a stocker but a kaaz lsd like i have in my car goes for $800 brand new or a quaife for a little over a grand. They are expensive and i wouldn't suggest doing it yourself unless you really know what your doing and have the right tools. But for a shop to do it i think the labor is like 5 or 6 hours. You can just go check the labor rates of shops around you. If you need one you might as well upgrade to an lsd because the price difference probably isn't really that much.

Thats pretty expensive what are the advantages of the kaaz lasd upgrade compared to the stock one?

LaserLance, there's a good chance your center diff is broken. It's not too hard or expensive to repair. Check out www.geocities.com/spencerhut/talon/center_differential_repair.htm
It can be done with the tranny still on the car. That VFAQ was written up a few years ago, so I think the price of the center diff reuild kit might be more.

Well thanks I looked at the symptoms on the VFAQ my symptoms arent those I started another thread that I think it's my viscous please link me to something about that. A guy was telling me I burned it up since I didnt have the driveshaft on and something about a bias with the front and rear tires from the drivehsaft not beong on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back