The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Trannies for RWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

well...i have the 4g63 powered 97 porsche mentioned earlier

i decided to do another project and while i was info gathering i ran into this post again. i'm actually planning a 4g63 powered RWD platform...i was leaning more toward a 2g body but have't really decided....it really just depends on how much fab i feel like doing (a 2g RWD would be a ton! as opposed to dropping the 4g63 into a RWD platform like a miata mentioned earlier, but im a glutten for punishment) i know a RWD 2g daily driver wouldnt be totally original (buschur's 1g) but i like 2g's. i dont like FWD, and dont care much for AWD (ive already had one)

i really dig that fiero!

and STARION, i wanted to do something exactly like that when i wanted a mid-engine setup with a 4g63. i still may, but i like having back seats. what spindles are you running up front?

but theres great info on this thread, imtall77 keep me up on that project! sounds fun!

EDIT: oh man! i just realized the stigma attached to saying "RWD DSM"...so forget i said that..im fickle anyway...IF i do, i'll post pics...otherwise i'll keep you guys updated on whatever project i take on next...

I've got one word for people asking why rwd, drifting. And it would still handle the 1/4 mile and roadracing.

I've got a much, much better, non-fad reason why any would want a RWD 4G63.

To put the engine in a different chassis than a DSM.

Okay, so i'm seriously getting my info together for my 4G63 hybrid. I've picked out the Datsun 510 as my frame with a Toyota tranny. (still not sure if i can use the R154 or not) It will use the R150 ( i think) Subaru/Datsun rear end most likely. I haven't found any hard data on the power threshold of this rear end, but it is a simple swap in setup. Right now i'm getting my info on the chasis tuning and what items i will need to put this sleeper together. This project won't get under way until summer, but i'm keeping my eyes open for good deals on parts and a solid 510 to use. When i get more info and actually start using that info to build a car, i'll let everyone know. Anyone got any more stuff on swap? How's the Fiero going? Did you get that "go-kart" done? Have fun and spread around this info and get people to build better cars. :thumb:

I just order'd my front and rear chassis kit from S&W race cars, comes withWelded rear frame (24"-26" or 28")
32" S & W ladder bars
Fully welded track locator
Driveshaft loop
Pro/Series 2000 shock and spring kit
Adjustable lower shock mounts
PVC coated springs
All suspension mounting hardware
.. Also order'd a 10 point cage with it. No more broken pos DSM trannys for me.. Im using weld wheels with 27 inch DOT slicks..Step one is to start buying parts and tearing the car apart..I'll keep every one posted with pics and info... Wish me luck!

Does any one know who's Red RWD 1st gen was at the shoot out last year not yet done?

Kevin

Attachments

• 10_point.gif
    10_point.gif
    3 KB · Views: 1,153
  • c10-400.gif
    c10-400.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,166
  • front_suspension.jpg
    front_suspension.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,169
iamtall77 said:
It will use the R150 ( i think) Subaru/Datsun rear end most likely. I haven't found any hard data on the power threshold of this rear end, but it is a simple swap in setup.

R160's (stock under the 510 and in a bunch of Subarus) don't hold too much power. They are vastly inferior to the R180 and R200. Subaru didn't even use the R160 under the STi, they went bigger. R180 are found under most s30 chassis Z cars (70-77). R200 are found under most Nissans/Datsuns built after 1980, including all 280zx's. Q45's and z32 300ZX TT have a R230. The open R180 breaks somewhere between 200 and 300 lbft of torque. The R160 is even weaker. A LSD equiped R200 will hold over 600 lb ft...

Most of the suspension bits from a 280ZX will bolt onto a 510, the stock suspensions ae almost identical. i.e. a 280zx R200 will just about bolt into the 510 - the mustashe bar and a couple other things have to come along too.

Thanks for the detailed info on the Nissan/Datsun rear ends. This will help me greatly in my project. Like I said in the post, right now i'm just gathering info and this summer (hopefully) i'll get to work on the car.
Apparently you know a little about this platform 91TSiAWD_Mark, is there anything else i should look at doing? I've read about swaping the 510 steering assembly out for the Z's rack & pinion. Fits with minor modification. The Z has rear trailing arms and the 510 steering shaft needs to be shortened. The Z shocks and larger brakes also fit. What else should I look for? I will likely need a small roll cage to keep me "legal" at the track. I'm not planning on tubbing the rear or doing wild fender flares. Maybe some light flares to fit about a 15 inch by 7 or 8 inch wide wheel under there.
Anyone that can find more info about the transmission, which has been the major research factor here, please help me out. I was planning on running a Toyota R154 if it fits. The W58 that seems to work may not hold enough power. I'm planning on running about 400-500hp most likely with a 2.3L stroker. That shouldn't be too difficult a goal to reach. Any other areas I'l missing? Chime in.

:thumb:

A new big thing with older Z's is the Imprezza racks. Especially the STi's. But I can't remember if its front or rear steer. Your 510 is like my 280ZX - rear steer. The great thing about Nissan is the swapability of all their parts - almost anything infront of the firewall in your 510 swaps to a s13 240sx... A friend of mine is running s13 LCA's, spindles, steering rack and front suspension, almost bolted right in.

Heck, some people have even put the s13 steering column into a 510.

Nissan

If you could run a tranny off a Nissan for a RWD applicaton, what would it be? Is it readily available at a reasonable price? (ie, you'd actually consider using it, if it bolted up)

Thoughts?!

Morphius:
Not sure i understand your question. Do you want a Nissan tranny? If so and it was a reasonably available tranny, probably the 240SX, any Z-car or maybe a truck tranny. I haven't researched that part. I might look into it. I would assume the 240 tranny would be a good idea since (i believe) it is basically the same as the SR20DET tranny. Very good tranny from what I hear. I will have to look into the compatibility of it. Why do you ask? Do you have a Nissan car you're looking at running a Mitsu motor in? Fill us in here. :confused:

iamtall77 said:
Morphius:
Not sure i understand your question. Do you want a Nissan tranny? If so and it was a reasonably available tranny, probably the 240SX, any Z-car or maybe a truck tranny. I haven't researched that part. I might look into it. I would assume the 240 tranny would be a good idea since (i believe) it is basically the same as the SR20DET tranny. Very good tranny from what I hear. I will have to look into the compatibility of it. Why do you ask? Do you have a Nissan car you're looking at running a Mitsu motor in? Fill us in here. :confused:

I'm looking to build an adapter plate, and I'm curious if there is a Nissan tranny that people would likely use in a RWD application with the Mits motor. Everybody is after adapting the toyota trans. I've got a friend that works for Nissan. I might be able to get the bolt pattern for a common Nissan tranny.

Thus my question.

Alot of Nissan transmissions have an intergrated bellhousing.
The input shaft of Nissans are 1" diameter, 24 spline. Mitsubishi uses 7/8" x 20 spline. BUT Toyota uses 1-1/8" x 21 spline. So if you can find a nissan transmission with a removable bellhousing, might be a better fit on our engines.

ive got a 3 spd. auto that will bolt right onto the 4g63. only problem is finding a flexplate for it. this is a super rare bellhousing but a very common tranny. it came off my 73 dodge colt. i was going to try and use it but ive been through hell trying to find a flexplate for it. the bellhousing is the key here. if someone would be willing to make a casting you could bolt it up to all kinds of stuff. i can get some pics this weekend. you guys will shit. i have the ONLY ONE IN THE UNITED STATES AS FAR AS I KNOW!! i have been trying to find info on the auto cars and they changed to a different tranny in 74 and things changed so there was only three years in which this tranny and bellhousing were available.im pretty sure i have the only existing auto car left. who knows, with this bellhousing i may be able to help the dsm community have more options for rwd projects.

91AWDDSM said:
Alot of Nissan transmissions have an intergrated bellhousing.
The input shaft of Nissans are 1" diameter, 24 spline. Mitsubishi uses 7/8" x 20 spline. BUT Toyota uses 1-1/8" x 21 spline. So if you can find a nissan transmission with a removable bellhousing, might be a better fit on our engines.

Why would you need a removable bellhousing? You could use an adapter plate to bolt the transmission to the engine, and a crank adapter that bolts to the crank and to the flywheel off the Nissan.

peregrine said:
ive got a 3 spd. auto that will bolt right onto the 4g63. only problem is finding a flexplate for it. this is a super rare bellhousing but a very common tranny. it came off my 73 dodge colt. i was going to try and use it but ive been through hell trying to find a flexplate for it. the bellhousing is the key here. if someone would be willing to make a casting you could bolt it up to all kinds of stuff. i can get some pics this weekend. you guys will shit. i have the ONLY ONE IN THE UNITED STATES AS FAR AS I KNOW!! i have been trying to find info on the auto cars and they changed to a different tranny in 74 and things changed so there was only three years in which this tranny and bellhousing were available.im pretty sure i have the only existing auto car left. who knows, with this bellhousing i may be able to help the dsm community have more options for rwd projects.

1. I thought the 1.6 in that car was a wide block design? Have you verified wheather that's the case or not? G32 right?

2. The transmission is a Borg-Warner unit.
71-73 Automatic was a Borg Warner 35 (3 speed aluminum case)
74-78 Automatic was a Chrylser 30RH (Same as a A904 or similiar to A727)

3. It's not that rare, as I know of many yards that have that unit setting there now.

Morphius said:
1. I thought the 1.6 in that car was a wide block design? Have you verified wheather that's the case or not? G32 right?

2. The transmission is a Borg-Warner unit.
71-73 Automatic was a Borg Warner 35 (3 speed aluminum case)
74-78 Automatic was a Chrylser 30RH (Same as a A904 or similiar to A727)

3. It's not that rare, as I know of many yards that have that unit setting there now.
and you never thought to try it? :p read my post again. i said the bellhousing is whats rare. the 35 came in all kinds of cars. its not a wide block. mates up perfect. if i could find a flexplate id run this tranny til i can get the th-350 thing going. but i cant seem to find anything that works. i havent got a real good look at a might max flexplate yet so that might be an option. anyone have any 2.0 MM flexplates laying around?

peregrine said:
read my post again. i said the bellhousing is whats rare. the 35 came in all kinds of cars. its not a wide block. mates up perfect.

There are 20+ yards in the US right now that have that EXACT transmission/bellhousing. setting there.

Try these guys:

Forest Auto Parts - ID(Lewiston) 1-800-967-5228

Morphius said:
There are 20+ yards in the US right now that have that EXACT transmission/bellhousing. setting there.

Try these guys:

Forest Auto Parts - ID(Lewiston) 1-800-967-5228
hop on it then my man. that bellhousing is a gem. if we can find a flexplate that will work or can get an adaptor made for a decent tranny, that opens all sorts of new doors.

Morphius said:
Why would you need a removable bellhousing? You could use an adapter plate to bolt the transmission to the engine, and a crank adapter that bolts to the crank and to the flywheel off the Nissan.

With a removable bellhousing, you could have an adapter to put on a FWD DSM tranny bellhousing. Then you use the OEM starter, stock FW, stock PP and a new clutch.

So lets resurrect this thread from the dead. I just picked up a 2nd gen rx7 today that has no motor and I have my old 7 bolt sitting in my garage.

From what I've read, w/ an adapter plate I could mate the r154 to my 7 bolt.

Hrm I wonder how close the rx7 tranny is...

Guess I'll need to do some research because a rotorary is not going back in.

Let us knokw how it goes. However, do you have the right tranny? The R154 was a Supra tranny. Is that what's in the RX-7 as well? Haven't researched that. I'm oh so close to gettnig my project underway. I just need to sell my Talon to have some extra cash to get it going. I'm still looking for the right tranny. I found the R154 at a recycler for $800 shipped. A little steep, but I'll keep looking. Make sure the tranny you have has a removable bellhousing to make things easier. You could always do the Buschur thing and make the tranny bellhousing fit the block. Seems harder that way to me. You may also need a custom clutch made if the input shaft is different which it will likely be. Let us know how the project goes. Anyone else with a project should post progress here please and let us know how it's going and what things we should look for.

:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back