The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Tips on building Intake Manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
Okay, so I'm new to welding aluminum so let me start 1st by saying my welds MIGHT NOT look pretty. Lol.

Anyway, was at school today and I saw these aluminum square box looking things and the wheels in my head started turning. Asked my instructor and he said I could have one. SWEET!!!!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well, I didn't know any of the dimensions of the stock manifolds and my car was at home in the garage. I just vaguely remembered what the Magnus manifold looks like and wanted to do something similar but after looking at their website, I obviously need to make some changes to it already. Dang it.

Compared to...

So anyway, gonna work on this some tomorrow. I don't have a spare 1g intake manifold or head laying around so don't know the dimensions of the runners. Anyone mind helping me out on that? Also, wondering how long the runners should be. Looking at the new Magnus cast manifold and they look pretty short.

Aside from that, any tips would be appreciated. Not sure where I can get an intake flange. I don't have a milling machine around for me to make that part, otherwise I would. Trying to make this somewhat fast (within a month hopefully) cause I'm hoping to drop out of school and snag a store manager position at my work. Thanks for any help.

Runner length and plenum size are all relative. Do you want more tq or more hp? It's a lot more than just welding up tube on a box. Maybe JMF or STM sells flanges?

Also, 90* interfaces in a volume that experiences pressure oscillations will induce stress, and over time, crack at the heat affected zones of the weld (in an aluminum manifold at the pressures we see). It is necessary to anneal the manifold to remove the stresses in the HAZ's, and then re-temper it if you want longevity.

Square interfaces are stress concentration zones. Make as many, and as large radii as you can to mitigate this.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back