The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

This is a hard question Haynes doesn't show you what this part is.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newdsmtnr96

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 16, 2005
Des Moines, Iowa
First off let me Describe the problem. Few days ago. I hear a weird noise coming from pass side wheel. I thought it was the wheel bearing. Had this checked out... Smitty's came up with this:

Exactly as wrote....

Suspension check

R F hub bearing 148.58 Labor 119.60 268.18
F Kyb Strut & mount 144.02 Labor 119.60 527.24

To me I can do all this my self. So I have this wheel bearing Ordered it was only 50.00 shipped new on eBay from auto parts corp..

This is my question. The strut mount. The guy who came out and talked to me said it was the strut bearing.. What is this??????

Is this the Part I need to order?

STRUT MOUNT MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE 95-99 GALANT SUSPENSION:eBay Motors (item 360189460570 end time Nov-13-09 12:08:43 PST)

I've replaced shocks and all, is this the rubber connection to this part? Like i said haynes serviceHaynesl doesn't show what the part is. Lacks detail.

This is a 98 gst By the way... my profile hasn't been updated yet.

Lol, strut bearing...Thats rich!

Just replace the wheel bearing since they tend to go out on our cars, but Id suggest doing both sides at the same time.

If you still have a squeek then look further into it. Im a proponent of replacing one thing at a time so you can learn what cause/fixed what.

Edit: BTW, the link you posted is for the OEM upper hat. Theirs no reason to replace the hardware of it, if youre bushings in there are dry rotted (would be easy to see if they were) then just get new bushings.

Did you order the wheel bearing, or the entire assembly?

I attached a pic of Just the wheel bearing

Attachments

• DSC00808.JPG
    DSC00808.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 310
yeah just the wheel bearing i bought. He hasnt accepted payment yet. Maybe i should order from oreilly's.

Ps: i have never heard of a strut bearing my self. I personaly think its a tie rod end or something of that matter. I will find out and post pics next week of what i found. So replace both bearings?

Yes im 100% sure. He had me come out to the shop and the spring was turning with the wheel. Said that the Strut bearing is bad. And then had me take a look at the wheel bearing. I did however give him a dirty look as I didn't think something like that was real. Here's a pic of me taking out my old "rs" struts and shocks
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I didn't think there was a bearing cause it should have been on my rs.. right? Thats what i figured.

there is a bearing on the strut but only in the front of the car. its located in the strut mount thats what allows you to turn the whole suspension to make turns maybe this is what he was talking about?

Attachments

• strut mount.jpg
    strut mount.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 298
yes the strut bearing would be in there i sell parts and its called the mount. somtimes the bearing inside the mount goes bad. Usually they get old and dry rot

yeah just the wheel bearing i bought. He hasnt accepted payment yet. Maybe i should order from oreilly's.

I assume you plan to have someone press out the old wheel bearing and press in the new one?

The bearings aren't even sold separately from the factory. It's sold as one unit known as the hub assembly (wheel bearing and hub together).

Yes im 100% sure. He had me come out to the shop and the spring was turning with the wheel. Said that the Strut bearing is bad. And then had me take a look at the wheel bearing. I did however give him a dirty look as I didn't think something like that was real. Here's a pic of me taking out my old "rs" struts and shocks

I didn't think there was a bearing cause it should have been on my rs.. right? Thats what i figured.

Do you not have the car on jack stands?
Because I don't see any under the car, just the jack itself.
It is a bad habit to work on your car in a unsafe condition like that.
You might not of had to get "under" the car but it still could be dangerous.

^^^^ LOL he's got the car jacked up on the side of a public road and your worried about jack stands? what about that 40year old woman in a expedition talking on the cell phone doing her makeup? LOL

Yes but it only has bearings in the front 2 struts!! you working on the front or the back?

in the pic i was replacing all struts and shocks.. Now in new gst... Just front struts. Probably later on maybe in 2 months ill get all kyb struts and shocks.. I havnt had good luck with tokico

ok i got kinda confused with the pics and all LOL. What kinda noise were you hearing is it when you turn your wheel when you hit a bump in the road? can you feel it in the steering wheel? is it a constant noise when your driving?

ok if its a wheel bearing it will make like a wisle type noise. if its super bad grinding. when you trun it like a clunk or clicking noise? if so thats ###### an axle. If its not eaither I would check bushing on the control arms ect and see where your at.

like you know how you get on a oil bed theres a creeky noise. Exactly what it sounds like here watch this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FFKTxhjIj8k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FFKTxhjIj8k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Auto Parts Warehouse - Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog
wanted to post this because i think this is what it is.. Looks like a bearing in middle. I'm sure that this post will be read by people with same issue's.

This guy is talking about a 2G, only 1G's have a bearing on the front suspension strut.

Semantics.

2g's don't use struts in the front, people, just plain jane shock absorbers. The upper pivot point is provided by the upper ball joint, not a bearing point on top of the shocks as with struts. There is a small rubber bushing to provide flexion in the shock hat.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back