The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

The proper and NHRA legal way to install a fuel cell?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihatedsms

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 4, 2004
berlin, New_Jersey
Im looking for help and PICS of a properly installed and NHRA legal fuel cell... Ive seen numerous post and pics of fuel cell just bolted to the floor with no firewall...
(Ive seen this on that blue talon with the rx7 wheels and hoosiers that is in the 9s) i dont know his name.. is that ok to do if its aluminum?

I was going to run a summit 10 gallon aluminum fuel cell in the stock fuel tank location, and cut the rear floor and hump out, and install a new aluminum sheet metal floor rivited in... and then put in a door to access the fuel cap on the cell... would this be legal? do i need the bottom of the cell (under the car) to have a firewall around it as well? It is an aluminum cell, and i dont know if the rules are diffrent or not.....

any help, and lots of pics would be appreciated

please only reply if you have first hand experiance with a legal fuel cell!
i dont want to install this thing then have it not be legal to run at the track and in events and have to redo it!

You can probably get the exact specs for the fuel cell if you search for NHRA rulebook in Google. There were updates on certain things for '07 so it would be in your best interest to find the newest info out there. I know the blue car you are speaking of. I have also seen aluminum fuel cells mounted above, as in not dropped in the factory location. Not sure if that is a legal set-up though. Unfortunately, that's all I've got as a fuel cell hasn't made its way into my Talon yet. I'd be interested to know as well. I'm sure some of the guys that run cells will make an appearance here and be able to educate us further.

Phil

ps--sorry I didn't read your last lines like an a hole...sorry for the post

nhra rules and revisions

fuel cell may be relocated to front of car, maximum 2-gallon fuel cell meeting SFI Spec 28.1 required. Fuel cells must be located within body, if located outside of frame it must be enclosed in a steel tube frame constructed of minimum 1 1/4-inch O.D. x .065-inch chromoly tubing."

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

here is a pic of shepards back in the day from this site

Custom 1991 Eagle Talon Tuner Car - Turbo Magazine

heres a RWD DSM that has a fuel cell also

06/13/2004 - Fuel Cell Cage

Im looking for help and PICS of a properly installed and NHRA legal fuel cell... Ive seen numerous post and pics of fuel cell just bolted to the floor with no firewall...
(Ive seen this on that blue talon with the rx7 wheels and hoosiers that is in the 9s) i dont know his name.. is that ok to do if its aluminum?
No, that is not a legal set-up. There are probably a handful of tracks that have tech guys that will allow that, but it does NOT follow the rules of the NHRA handbook, so you might not be able to run at tracks that have knowledgeable tech staff. I'm smart enough to catch that, so I assume that most techs are as well.

I was going to run a summit 10 gallon aluminum fuel cell in the stock fuel tank location, and cut the rear floor and hump out, and install a new aluminum sheet metal floor rivited in... and then put in a door to access the fuel cap on the cell... would this be legal?
Yes, that would be legal, but but only after you firewall the bottom of the cell.

do i need the bottom of the cell (under the car) to have a firewall around it as well? It is an aluminum cell, and i dont know if the rules are diffrent or not.....
See above answer. The aluminum skin of an aluminum cell does not constitute as a firewall, so yes, you will definitely need to surround it with something.

You can cut a square hole in the floor, and then drop in a can like this:

This will be your firewall. Install the cell (aluminum or plastic), and ground out the cell if it's plastic. The attach the lid and rivit or screw it to the container/floor. Then install an access door like in the picture above. It's that easy.

FYI: The link above is for the '06 rules. Here is a link for the '07 rules: http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2007/rules/GenRegs2007.pdf

You can cut a square hole in the floor, and then drop in a can like this:

This will be your firewall. Install the cell (aluminum or plastic), and ground out the cell if it's plastic. The attach the lid and rivit or screw it to the container/floor. Then install an access door like in the picture above. It's that easy.

FYI: The link above is for the '06 rules. Here is a link for the '07 rules: http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2007/rules/GenRegs2007.pdf

oh yea, i def did not know that the bottom of the cell had to have a firewall as well, i looked over the 07 rules and the info that you gave to me and now understand what i have to do... thanks for the info... much appriciated....
This is going to be a lot more fab then i thought it would be!
(building a fire wall on the top and bottom of the cell)
LOL but owell doing this kinda stuff is fun....

do they actually cell cans like the one you post above?
im probably going to make one

anyone out there that has pics of there fuel cell/firewall
please post them!!!

nhra rules and revisions

fuel cell may be relocated to front of car, maximum 2-gallon fuel cell meeting SFI Spec 28.1 required. Fuel cells must be located within body, if located outside of frame it must be enclosed in a steel tube frame constructed of minimum 1 1/4-inch O.D. x .065-inch chromoly tubing."

here is a pic of shepards back in the day from this site

Custom 1991 Eagle Talon Tuner Car - Turbo Magazine

heres a RWD DSM that has a fuel cell also

06/13/2004 - Fuel Cell Cage

if i run my cell above the floor, this is probably the way i will set mine up, but id rather have it in the stock location

i could of sworn i already posted this in this thread, but maybe I forgot to click submit

Could someone post the rules for other road racing groups (nasa, scca, etc,..) for a fuel cell mounted in the stock location? I doubt this tin can would clear it, but maybe, we'll see.

I would like something that was approved for drag racing (any speed really, since I don't know what turbo Im going with yet, but most likely will be shooting for the 9.999999999999 range) and road racing. Something that no tech anywhere would get pissed at me for. I've been thinking about doing that cage thing and having it basically be a continuation of the main cage of the car.

I too would like to see install pics so I have an idea of how much work it takes to do both options(underneath in stock location mounted up or in the trunk area bolted down) I too would like to get a 10 gallon tank underneath but every setup I have seen has been open on the bottom including the guy on the home page and they seem to be track leagl cars :confused: I just don't want to spend time and money making a setup to only have to do it again.:notgood:

keep this post going i am in the middle of trying to figure out what to do with the cell
another thing to think about is jm fab sell stock location cells but if you have to fire wall them then they are a wast of money

Yo craig, you should be fine mounting it in the stock location without a firewall on the bottom, Youll only have to worry about it if you in a NHRA event, and even then i dont think they bi*** about it. I have seen quite a few cars at nopi and other events with no firewall on the bottom, and evileagle had the jmf cell, no firewall and he competed in lots of sanctioned events.

Probably, but as I said, this is a shell for sale with no motor and the fuel lines are not ran properly or hooked up. They are just hanging there so they aren't on the ground. Yes, it's probably not the best place for them, but if they were cut, they'd just have to be replaced before being run under the car to the engine bay.

At least that's how I see it, as I don't think the owner mentioned anything when I talked to him.

Probably, but as I said, this is a shell for sale with no motor and the fuel lines are not ran properly or hooked up. They are just hanging there so they aren't on the ground. Yes, it's probably not the best place for them, but if they were cut, they'd just have to be replaced before being run under the car to the engine bay.

At least that's how I see it, as I don't think the owner mentioned anything when I talked to him.

Ok as long as this isn't how they are always run. If this were a long term solution I would def have to put this as the worst install.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back