The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Synthetic Oil [merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkenMime249

Probationary Member
Jul 16, 2002
Henrdon, Northern_VA
All synthetic oil threads are merged here.i'm trying to buy a 1g dsm turbo awd (as i'm sure most of you know by now from my recent ramblings in other threads). Most of the ones i've been looking at are bone stock for the most part except repairs and i have a feeling all are running on regular oil.

my question is when i finally buy one should i run regular, full sythetic, or somwhere in between (i am planning on running full synthetic).

also, if the car is running regular and i want to switch to full synthetic, i've heard it can be damaging to switch all at once. or is that just a fable? it makes sense and i was planning on slowly uprading the oil quality everytime i changed it until it was running full synthetic. is that the wrong thing to do?

i wasnt sayin it should but i was just wondering if a thicker synthetic oil would slow down the leak or what not.

Heavy oils can help keep a leak from being so noticeable. It is NOT, however, a proper way to fix a leak.

Synthetic may open up a leak that was clogged by deposits. It cleans your engine much better than regular oil. It will not cause any leaks itself. If your car leaks after switching to synthetic it means your car had a problem to begin with.

xveganxcowboyx said:
Heavy oils can help keep a leak from being so noticeable. It is NOT, however, a proper way to fix a leak.

Synthetic may open up a leak that was clogged by deposits. It cleans your engine much better than regular oil. It will not cause any leaks itself. If your car leaks after switching to synthetic it means your car had a problem to begin with.

So basically if my seals do leak, but are clogged by deposits, I won't notice any leaks. And if I use synthetic oil, it will break down the deposits and cause my engine to leak oil? I'm guessing that replacing the seals will be fairly expensive if this is the case.

Is there any way to find out if my seals are still good? My Eclipse has 95,000 miles on it.

:confused:

When I had my (95)420A Turbo Rs I ran Syntec 10/40 oil and it would burn it off. I changed to Mobile one 10/40 and it never burned it off. The motor was built by a shop in Biloxi, MS. We did a compression test and looked for leaks and never found one. I miss her so much. Sold her for 7000.00. 2 weeks later kid wrecked totaled it out from hitting a Expedition....May she rest in peace.....

Thebigwookie said:
So basically if my seals do leak, but are clogged by deposits, I won't notice any leaks. And if I use synthetic oil, it will break down the deposits and cause my engine to leak oil? I'm guessing that replacing the seals will be fairly expensive if this is the case.

Is there any way to find out if my seals are still good? My Eclipse has 95,000 miles on it.

:confused:

Pretty much, though this is very unlikely with that mileage. it tends to happen to high mileage cars.

The cost would depend on what leaks, it could vary immensely.

It's fair to assume that if it is to the point where it would start leaking from synthetic, it wasn't going to last long anyway, which renders the cost pretty much mute.

Hello just got a 1990 Talon Tsi on the weekend and it needs an oil change. Still has the original engine at 160,000km. I did some searching and still really confused on whether or not to run synthetic oil in the car. I get mixed reviews on both as some people only use synthetic and others do not. I know the car has not used synthetic its entire lifespan. Just wondering whether or not it would be even worthwhile now or is it better when I rebuild the car and run it then.

Thankyou in advance,

Steve

I've always ran synthetic. Before was Mobil 1, and now I'm running Royal Purple. No problems ever.

Erik

I have a 95' GST and when I bought it only conventional oil was run through it now I use Royal Purple and I noticed a significant difference. It does get pricey to spend $40 dollars on just oil everytime but again I would say it is well worth it.

My engine has 147k on it and when i purchased the car had 111k i started using Mobile 1 10w-30 full syn. Last oil change i switched to the new Mobile 1 10w-40 high mileage full syn. I have only seen it in the 5 quart jug at wal mart. I love it, it got ride of my lifter tick and everything.

Use synthetic... The ONLY TIME YOU DONT USE SYNTHETIC IS WHEN YOU BREAK IN A MOTOR!!! If you can afford it, the performance and the life of your engine will increase with synthetic... I ran Royal purple in my B16 Honda, and it made a big difference.. You can actually search using yahoo or google and actually see the difference in bearing surfaces from using synthetic oil.. Do a search, and that will answer it all.. In short, synthetic is the shi+

Thank you all very much for the responses. I think I am going to go get some Mobil 1 synthetic this weekend. Going to go with 10W30.

I had heard that after 100K on a car, that you can not go to synthetic oil.

Haha no. Just dont go back to regular oil once you've switched. I heard it can mess things up. My car had over 100K on it when i switched to synthetic and I've never had issues.

It will not mess anything up, you can change whenever you like and even mix them if you want, after all it's just oil, jut one is a better quality.

I better hold my tongue b/c the guys in charge here don't seem to like this topic. It's just after changing oil everyday for 2 years straight I have leant a lot about oils.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will not mess anything up, you can change whenever you like and even mix them if you want, after all it’s just oil, jut one is a better quality.

I better hold my tongue b/c the guys in charge here don’t seem to like this topic. It’s just after changing oil everyday for 2 years straight I have leant a lot about oils.

Yeah, oil choice is a touchy subject. Synthetic will loosen up sludge in an old engine and reveal old leaks that never surfaced, synthetic will also swell seals in an engine that has never seen it and cause the seals to leak. Ive torn apart a couple nissan KA24DE engines both with conventional oil and synthetic, the synthetic engines all looked brand new, and the regular oil had the infamous goldish yellow stain everywhere, but both ran top notch. Regular oil is just fine in N/A cars as long as the oil is changed when it is worn out.

I know rx7 dragsters even run regular oil with no problems, rx7's cant run sythetic because of the way sythetic burns when it is injected into the rotaries combustion, that is unless they do away with their metering pump and pre mix their gas.

CLIFFS NOTES: If you put synthethic in a car that has over 90,000 miles you could have a small leak to fix, but chances are you wont, and in a forced induction engine you can feel good knowing you have the best. Cheap insurance.:talon:

It will not mess anything up, you can change whenever you like and even mix them if you want, after all it’s just oil, jut one is a better quality.

I better hold my tongue b/c the guys in charge here don’t seem to like this topic. It’s just after changing oil everyday for 2 years straight I have leant a lot about oils.
No oil is not just oil. Changing the brand or type of oil you use won't hurt anything if you drain it all. But some oils can not be mixed with others. I saw a motor break because the owner mixed different oils and they broke each other down.

If you run syntetic oil on an engine that has high miles on it, and has used a mineral based oil, the synthetic will actually clean the deposits left from the mineral oil and cause leaks. If you want to switch to synthetic and you eventually plan on re building your engine with fresh gaskets, seals, rings, and all the other stuff required for a rebuild, wait until then. Well after the fresh engine has broken in of course but we all know a fresh engine doesnt break in on synthetic right? ;)

Well after the fresh engine has broken in of course but we all know a fresh engine doesnt break in on synthetic right? ;)
Well I would not waste my money breaking a motor in with synthetic. But ask any oil company or car maker, you can break in a motor with synthetic. Most of your high end cars come with synthetic from the factory. It will take longer for the rings to seat but will save a little bit of wear on the bearings.

We get Vipers and SRT-10 rams in the shop at the dealership i work for and i was talking with the other techs and they say it takes a while for everything in those engines break in.

No oil is not just oil. Changing the brand or type of oil you use won't hurt anything if you drain it all. But some oils can not be mixed with others. I saw a motor break because the owner mixed different oils and they broke each other down.

I would like to know what oil was used

My old boss had worked in the oil business for 20 years and has never seen that, unless it was redline or ryoal purple mixed with regular oil, or a grade that wasnt correct for the vehicle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back