The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Switched to a 3582R, 8.89 at 152

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Jewer

DSM Wiseman
Jul 25, 2002
LaRue, Ohio
Last week I finally swapped out the 16g for a standard T3 .82 Garrett 3582R for the IFO event last Sunday. The car was also switched over to ECMlink recently. I took it up for a Friday night test and tune to renew my license. The first pass off the trailler was a 9.25 at 148. Woops! I still had the shift light set for 7k so I short shifted a bit around 8000. The second pass I let it hit the 2 step a little longer and shifted around 8800 for a 9.14 at 150. This was at 29 psi. It was sliding around at the top end (crappy track conditions) and I had the two passes I needed for the license renewal, so I called it done.

Rear Wheel Drive Eagle Talon Drag Race, 9's on 35R, Kevin Jewer 9.1 @ 149 - YouTube

At the IFO event on Sunday it was a little warmer. The first qualifying pass was a 9.25 at 147. I turned up the 3 step, 2 step, and boost (~34 psi) for the first round of eliminations, and it ran a 8.89 at 152. 1.29 sixty foot, and 5.69 at 122 in the 8th IIRC. Traction was awesome, it could have taken more power on the starting line. I lost the round, but it's hard to be unhappy with that pass.

Rear Wheel Drive Eagle Talon DSM Drag Race, 8's on 35R, Kevin Jewer 8.891 @ 152.28 IFO NED - YouTube

Not bad for the 4th pass on a little 61mm turbo. :) The setup was identical to how I ran the 16g (10.31/132). I know I can squeeze a little more power out of this turbo, but track conditions were really good. I'm not sure I can better the ET by enough to make it worth trying. It should 60 foot about 1.20-1.25 with this power going by what the car has done in the past. I do want to collect back pressure data on this turbo, so I'm sure I'll try it at least one more time. Then it's on to the next turbo. I'm not sure yet what that will be, but it needs to be bigger than this one, but still spool up without nitrous on this converter.

The AEM in this car was actually borrowed from a friend all this time. :D I've been running AEM since I put it in my EVO in 2005 or so, and I like it, but I'm not attached to it. Tom and I talked about trying some things with it back at the Showdown in 09. I had it sitting on the shelf for years but was always in the middle of some friggin experiment and didn't want to throw another variable it. The 16g setup gave me the perfect opportunity to make the switch. The last pass last year on AEM the car ran 10.31. The first pass with the DSMlink and the same fuel ran 10.37. So basically no change. It's been a blast using it on this car. I'm short a couple loggable inputs but otherwise there's really no reason to go back. The support you get from Tom and Dave is impossible to beat.

This car was a beast! It was nice to see all the DSM's there at IFO, and I have to say there were way to many Honda's there!

Thanks! All of the guys from NEDSM really kicked ass at this event. Nick Stack won FIP with a 9.40 at 152, Ryan with the mirage took second in the high 9s, and Matt Arruda with the 4g63 bmw took third and ran a 9.4x earlier in the day. Fonz won FIS with his high 10 second 16g car. A number of other guys ran their cars too and did well, TJ with the 4g63 S2000, Leon in the summit, etc. In comparison losing in the first round of Outlaw seems weak, but the 8 second pass on a 35r hopefully redeemed me somewhat. It was an awesome day, can't wait to see everyone out again on June 23rd for Import vs Domestic.

Is the 35r compounded or did you do away with the compound setup that I dream of?

Just the 35R by itself. The plan was to see if the 35R would spool and make it the small turbo in the compound setup eventually, but at this point I think I want to try bigger single turbos until I hit something I can't spool. When I started with the compounds there was no way this turbo would spool without nitrous. I know there is a lot more potential in the compounds and want to get back to testing, just not sure when.

Shit, I'd never spool that on this setup! I'm looking at my 67mm options in T3 housings. I think I'll just be able to spool it, and another 30 lbs/min ought to motivate this turd to go a little faster.

Thanks Justin. I'm still surprised it went that fast without even fighting me for it. :) 3794 is the type of turbo I'm looking. I have to pick one and order it tomorrow to have it in time for Import Vs Domestic up here at NED on June 23rd.

I'm hoping to get the car back out one more time on the 35R on Wednesday.

I can vouch for the 3794R It's pushed the GVR4 3350lb brick I tune/setup to 9.3@146 through an automatic at 40psi of boost. That turbo was pretty awesome for a T3 frame IMHO, especially viewing it against what I think a normal GT35R would have done on the same car/setup (likely barely a high 9@138).

We were able to launch it to a 1.37 60' without nitrous leaving around4500rpm/16psi : 2.3L, 1G head, HKS 280cams, .82 T3 housing, short air/water IC layout. Converter was a restalled oem unit.

If you knocked of 8.9@152 on a standard 35R, I would guess that the 3794R billet job would get your significant gain...maybe in the 8.7's and 156 range?

I'm hoping ~300 more hp gets me more than 2 tenths, but there's only one way to find out. :)

great numbers, and i always love seeing info on this car..

One thing that shocks me is when i read the posts, see the phrase "16g" then i double check the avatar to make sure i'm reading the right person's post.. And THEN i tripple take and read through to make sure we're still talking about the RWD car having the 16g on it and i can't help but think WTF?

No offense and i can see the fun in experimenting but the first thought that comes to mind everytime i see the threads and do the sanity checks above, is that putting a 16g on that car is about like taking a top-fuel dragster and putting an old holley 2 barrel carb on it LOL it's almost the apitomy of "restrictor plat racing" in my opinion LOL but i love the results every time.. Hell if i could run high 10's or even low 11's in my car with a 16g on it, then make no mistake i'd have one on there, but unless i plasma cut the back half off the car and put a set of furniture casters on the remaining sheet metal riht behind the driver's seat, then there's no way i'm going 10's on a 16g of any size :D

I can't wait to see what it will do once you get everything dialed in, get your license taken care of and start trying to wring every last ounce of power from the car instead of sand-bagging it over and over again..

And again, I mean no offense by any of this, so i hope it doesn't come out that way, But i think you must be a very open minded person, or had become very bored with the car in it's previouse state in otder to slap a little baby turbo on it like you did (but you made that baby turbo scream and for that i give cedit where it's due!) congrats again!!! keep up the great work!!

Thanks! :D I think I do things a little differently than some might, but it's just the way I am. I bought this car in 2007 mainly because it's a great platform to test ideas on. It's got a robust drivetrain, and it's repeatable to a fraction of a tenth from pass to pass. Even over the off season, my last run last season and my first run this season were 0.05 second apart despite a complete transmission rebuild/upgrade. I didn't really buy the car just to go fast. There is some challenge in that, but in reality, we already know how to go fast with these cars. The number of cars in the 8s or better now shows that. In the first season, 2008, the car went 9s on it's first time at the track, and went 8s by the Shootout. Other challenges are more interesting to me. Trying to go faster on a compressor limited setup, like the 16g, and even the 35R. I always said my car would never set turbo records. It was a lot of work to prove myself wrong on that one, but it was worth it. I never expected the car to go so fast on either turbo. Both have more left in them too, they're sitting on the shelf waiting to back in later in the season to try to go a little faster on them. The compound turbos, which I played with for a few years and learned more about turbos than I had in the 10 years prior to that. Switching from AEM to ECMlink and running within a tenth of the number on the second pass. And lots of small projects with the drivetrain, suspension tuning, and so on. The learning opportunities are endless with a platform like this, which is what it's really all about for me. :)

I did end up getting the 67mm turbo on the car. A couple Saturdays ago I took it out for the import vs domestic event at the local track. The first pass showed immediate promise, being a few tenths quicker to the 330 than the car has ever gone before, which is significant, but a fuel delivery problem showed up. I'm still working on that, I should have the car out again on Wednesday to see if it's fixed. It's a track rental, so if it's not fixed, I wasted a shitload of money, but if it is fixed, it ought to run a decent number. Hopefully it's the latter. :)

That's awesome!!! And a lot of your reasons are the same as mine asfar as "why" you race or play with going fast. Personally i'm not about trying to go faster or makle morepower than anyone else, I'm just there to learn from the changes in tune, engine, driveline, etc..etc...

That's why i can admire what youv'e done with the little turbo and not question "Why" in the end, but rather double checkgin that someone else is actualy toying with learning how to extract a setups "consistant" results rather than trying to hit 7's and just hope you can back it up

not much more to say really than that.. I will add that i admire what you've been given the chance to do, the toys to play with and a good crew to back you up (not even mentioning the money LOL)

But anyway, keep it up, keep the posts coming and i'll be right there to read them... i'm definitely interested in any data you'd be willing to share either publically or privately. Stay safe and stay fast :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back