The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Surge, BOV not holding or boost leak (video inside)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaVision

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 28, 2007
Sofia, Europe
So I have this issue and the car seems not too fast as before. I have swapped the K272s with stock. Actually the exhaust is a 260 degree (NT stock cam). This issue was present with the K272s as well but it gets wors or at least I think it does.

Can you identify the problem by watching this video?

Boost issue - YouTube

it sure does sound like bov fluttering. im a bit noobish though

Looks like surge to me, the BOV shouldn't flutter under WOT it should either leak or not. Surge occurs when the turbo pushes more air than the engine can take in early on.. try this.. drop into 2nd from third at say 40-45MPH and go WIDE OPEN, a lot of times that';s a way to tell if it's surging if this doesn't happen if you start at a high RPM and go WOT

It is mainly dfrommaking more boost/airflow at a lower RPM where the engine can't take in the air because VE is low. My BB 57 trim surged BAD while the same turbo in journal bearing didn't because it spooled later on in the RPM range.
Although a 68hta shouldn't surge that bad unless it'e that exhaust cam. I'd work on removing restriction in the engine like the 260 cam.. also if you ahve adjustable cam gears redusing some overlap will let more air into the engine and solve this also.. My favorite settings for great power and an awesome idle is to put it at +4 exh. and -4 intake, with less overlap you ge tmore exhaust out leaving an empty chamber for the incoming air to fill. Turbo cars are the opposite of NA cars and don't like overlap at all unless you're happy tooling around at under 4k RPM at best LOL

overall the surge isn't that bad, i's say some minor changes or cam degree work wil solve it

Thanks Glenn. I will try to degree the cams as you suggested. I know the 68HTA is surge prone, but I am noob-ish to the turbo cars and wasn't sure. The surge wasn't that bad with the K272s but it was there. However those cams were overkill and I was afraid to degree them so i decided to downgrade and stick with the stock ones while I fix all the small issues.

So, thank you and hopefully will solve the issues

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back