1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

ECMlink Stuttering/hesitation-ahhh!

Posted by Vegas smith, Dec 4, 2018

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. boostdawd

boostdawd Supporting Member

Joined Apr 6, 2010
    phoenix, Arizona
    How recent did u do a compression test?

Street Build 714  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Drag Race Build 4K  10

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  2. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Compression test within the last few weeks.

Tried my old map sensor, double-checked CAS installation and investigated all wires at the ecu. Didn't find anything and nothing changed. Will be trying a new ecu tonight.

Street Build 3K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. EVLGSX

EVLGSX Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2017
    Wallingford, Connecticut
    Ive had 2 omni 4 bars fail and some issues with the pins on my really old ECM pnp sd harness

Street Build 2K  15

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Have you tried running it with the coolant temp sensor unplugged?, it still sounds like its a internal backfire issue to me, do you power brakes work ok? its possible for the brake booster to leak and suck air as old as these ones are getting, thats just a long shot but worth pinching off all of the vacuum lines at this point to see if it clears up, I assume that you have checked for leaks around the intake gasket and leaks around the injectors?

What about the fuel filter? have you tried blowing through it? fuel pressure is one thing to have, volume is a different animal entirely. Are you running a cat? could it be clogged? you might try dropping the pipe at the turbo and running it, I've had critters set up housekeeping in a matter of days, preventing the car from even starting.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018

Drag Race Build 3K  23

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    I actually replaced the coolant temp sensor with a new one I had laying around. My brakes do appear to work fine, but I'll give the vacuum lines a good pinching to check that. I've checked for leaks everywhere and haven't found anything .

Fuel filter has a brand new SS element. No cat, it's just 3" all the way back but it's something I'll keep an eye on considering I'm running out of ideas.

I wasn't able to get the spare ecu to test, but I did find out I grounded my MAP senor to chassis rather than to ecu ground. I thought that was the smoking gun even though it ran perfectly like that for over a 1000 miles. I wired it up correctly to ecu ground and it didn't help at all. Perhaps the improper grounding of that sensor has damaged the ecu ground in some way?? The ecu is getting sent to Ecmlink because I'm starting my work week. This is an unbelievable experience. Thanks for everyone's help.

Street Build 3K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM