The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Stutterbox at infineon drag strip legal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumobrian

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 11, 2005
Santa rosa, California
They say
"Throttle stops, delay, boxes and other electronic devices of that nature are not permitted"

Is my Launch control ok, its a Chip.

Last edited:
You should have no problem running at the drag strip. i've never been to a track where they don't allow launch control,2 step etc etc.
i've ran my cars at E-town and LVD and they never said anything:)

100% OK!

Just be careful if you go to a Wed Night Drag event as they do require you to run a muffler and actually sample your car in the burnout box and starting line.

Can't remember exactly but the limit is approx 102-105db

When do you plan to go? A goup of Evo's will be up there on Nov 4th.

Have fun and maybe see you there!

Throttle stops and delay boxes are electronics that are used to fine tune the reaction time and 60' for serious bracket cars. That rule has absolutly nothing to do with Test & Tune, street cars, or anything like that.

That common rule is generally used when the track runs a "street car" "footbrake" bracket race on streetcar night. It basically is there to keep the real serious bracket race cars from slapping on a muffler and coming out on streetcar nights to clean up.

Throttle Stops....what they are talking about is an electric timer with usually a CO2 powered ram that will say launch a car at 1/2 throttle or less and slowly ramp up from the starting setting to full throttle after a timer is reached. IE 1/2 throttle in first gear with smooth ramp to full throttle in second. It's used to fine tune how smoothly a drag car leaves the starting line to eliminate variations in power and wheelspin....makes a car consistent. In bracket racing it is common to build a car that is say 2 full seconds faster than you intend to run it....as in build a mid 7 second 200mph car and run in the 9.90 class. Many cars will run a powerglide trans and launch in top gear at 1/2 throttle. never shift gears, maybe even never go full throttle. The "race" is in making the car go 9.900 over and over. By having the car be stupid powerfull, they can override the throttle stop if they think it's a slow run and catch the other car.

Delay box: electronic timer that releases a trans brake (and can activate a throttle stop timer). Humans will have a more consistent reaction to the first yellow light at the top of the Tree vs trying to launch on the third yellow light. Most starting lines at the dragstrip are:

top yellow light goes on
.500 second gap
middle yellow light goes on
.500 second gap
bottom yellow light goes on : you normaly "launch" at this point
.500 second gap
Green light goes on and ET starts. perfect reaction time means the car breaks the beams NOW!

so a delay box...you dial in say .955 seconds. you push the button when you see the top yellow lighton the tree. The delay box waits .955 seconds then launches the car for you. This process allows more consistent reaction times than trying to launch of the 3rd yellow light by eliminating any human anticipation.

Generally a car that has this kind of equipment is a serious serious bracket race car and would be totally unfair to run against with a street car trying to launch it yourself. By serious bracket car, I mean one that will run say 8.900 @ 200mph with a .005 reaction time and be within .005 seconds in both reaction and ET all day run after run.

100% OK!

Just be careful if you go to a Wed Night Drag event as they do require you to run a muffler and actually sample your car in the burnout box and starting line.

Can't remember exactly but the limit is approx 102-105db

When do you plan to go? A goup of Evo's will be up there on Nov 4th.

Have fun and maybe see you there!

I am going this Wed 28, I will probably go Nov 4. too.

Throttle stops and delay boxes are electronics that are used to fine tune the reaction time and 60' for serious bracket cars. That rule has absolutly nothing to do with Test & Tune, street cars, or anything like that.

Thanks that info is great.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back