The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Devin Schultz's 2g gets wreaked at drag strip

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMboostinawd

Probationary Member
Mar 15, 2008
Mundelein, Illinois
My name is Devin Schultz, I'm a tech and tuner for Strictly Modified. We do mostly turbo cars with our emphasis being Mitsubishi vehicles.

I went to US 41 on Sunday October 11 in hopes of a 9.1-9.2 second quarter mile pass. My best pass to date was 9.37. I was able to tie my best pass with a 9.37 and was on my way to a 9.20 until the car in the next lane lost control, came into my lane and t-boned me just as I shifted 3rd. I have no idea how I kept it out of the wall, the car came to a stop facing the starting line in the opposite lane about 1 foot from the wall.

First thing I want to say is that I'm 100% OK, the car however is not!!!

I understand the risks that I take when drag racing, and trust me I'm dealing with that right now. What's important is that both drivers walked away from this, but what bothers me is the lack of respect and attitude that I received from a fellow racer. After the shit went down he said to me, "My shits a classic and you can find one of those anywhere!" WTF!!! I found out later that night he told my fiancé to "f**k off".

After looking at the video its pretty clear to me. He broke a driver side axle, which sent him into my lane. I'm Ok with that, but what I'm not OK with is the fact that he NEVER LIFTED. If he would have LIFTED things might be different. He also never tried to counter steer out of the slide, his wheels stayed straight the whole time. Did he mash it to the floor then closed his eyes?

The Talon will be back next year, and it will be even cleaner then it was this year. Phill Davidson will be fixing it out of Ohio. He is a hard core 2g guy and runs a bad ass body shop. Phil has a full tube frame 2g that he built and it has seen seen 7s, does fabrication work in house, has 4 laser guided frame machines. He is also the one that has always done the body work on Sheps car!! I will have step by step pictures of the fix/build, I cant wait to get her lookin right again.

Devin Schultz @ Strictly Modified

Here's the videos

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk170/kabamm522/?action=view&current=20091011165812.flv

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=64124854

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the video in another thread and I cringe whenever I see it. Were you able to get any insurance info from him and would they even cover something like this? I would think wether he's at a race track or not, his insurance company would pay for yours but not likely his own damages.

Can't wait to see the new car :thumb:

Glad to see you are ok man. Just watching that video made me angree so i cant even imagine how you feel. good luck with the rebuild.

I am glad you are unhurt.

"My shits a classic and you can find one of those anywhere!"
Why would anyone say that? It was his "classic" that broke and his "classic" that was out of control! Did he yell at the wall for that impact too?

[sarcasm]How dare you be in his way while he is swerving out of control! Its a classic![/sarcasm]

More like just an old pile of shit! A classic... Really when you tub out a car and build a drag racer I wouldn't expect to win many concours.

Sorry about the car.

Your car is one of my favorite dsms's. I am glad to hear you are going to fix it

Good to hear your alright, thats the main thing but wow what an ass. I'm not an angry person but that guy deserved a punch in the face for attitude like that & especially for mouthing of to your fiance. Either that or, don't know the rules of insurance/charges where you are but here, if your on any private property (including a parking lot) each person is responsible for their own damage. If I had a not so good condition tow rig, it would be going right into the non marked side of that guys car. Oops, didn't see you there :shhh:

I agree that he crossed the line once he started to mouth of to your wife-to-be. Not sure I would of had that much control to not slap him silly.

Good luck with everything, great to hear you are okay!

Honestly I woulda smacked him, especially after what he said to your girl.....anyways good luck

Honestly I woulda smacked him, especially after what he said to your girl.....anyways good luck

Ya I know, thats not the kind of person I am. I wasnt there when he talk to her so I ended up finding out later that night. I just want to forget about this guy and get back to racing.

Devin Schultz

I was wondering how do you get paid for a accident like that? Usually a full race car isnt insured right? or did I miss something?

I can't say for your area but normally even for a street car, your insurance is null & void when your at a track. ie you smack it, you fix it. Believe thats why I've heard stories of guys wrecking their cars, then towing them to a location, dropping them off & reporting them stolen.

Wow. I can't believe that he would say anything more than sorry. If i ever caused a wreck at the track or anywhere else, i would make sure they are ok and be very sympathetic for them and their car. I'm glad your hooked up with a good body shop and hope the driver of the "classic" catches an STD.

Ya I know, thats not the kind of person I am. I wasnt there when he talk to her so I ended up finding out later that night. I just want to forget about this guy and get back to racing.

Devin Schultz
Wow man, you're a much better person than myself. I would have lost control. Physically. Some one with the audacity to talk like that after HE caused the crash? I'd be floored. Then for talking to my fiance like that, i'd probably go find him. A 9 second Talon is probably more rare than a, what is that a Chevelle? Plus he's lucky he didn't roll it. After seeing the right front wheel so loaded and the ass up so high. I thought for sure in the video it was going over.

I saw this vid on another thread but from a different perspective. I'm glad you're alright and are going to come back...but damn...what an asshole. Instead of apologizing for wrecking your car, he has the balls to insult you and act like it's your fault. "this is a classic" haha, wow, the parts must have been "classic" for his p.o.s to lose control like that, his driving abilities must have been "classic" too for him to not even realize he should get the f*ck off the gas. And then he gave your soon-to-be an attitude, too! People like that piss me off and should NOT be allowed anywhere near the track. I truly can not stand ignorant ass "I drive American cars because they're the ONLY cars" type of people. I hope you meet up with him after you get fixed and romp all over his "classic". Come back strong man.

Gotta love when idiots in muscle cars cant drive and crash a perfect DSM THAT WAS IN THE LEAD!! I mean for real from the start the muscle was out of control.

Gotta love when idiots in muscle cars cant drive and crash a perfect DSM THAT WAS IN THE LEAD!! I mean for real from the start the muscle was out of control.

You REALLY need to rethink you're statement. So many factors come into play in any type of vehicle at the track. Being a NHRA Certified Track Official myself, I know what could or did happen.

It's not about the skill of the driver nor the car. I have seen the best of the best of drivers get into the wall or crash into another vehicle. It's going to happen.

I worked a Lightning Fest one year at KCIR here in Kansas City, Missouri. Two very fast NBS Lightning trucks, way into the 8's and 9's. Truck in the right lane came into the truck into the left. Totaled both trucks, both drivers walked away unhurt. They both were good sports, knew how to handle the situation.

So please, re-think you're statement. Or think before you make a comment like that. If anyone is an idiot, it would be you.

You REALLY need to rethink you're statement. So many factors come into play in any type of vehicle at the track. Being a NHRA Certified Track Official myself, I know what could or did happen.

It's not about the skill of the driver nor the car. I have seen the best of the best of drivers get into the wall or crash into another vehicle. It's going to happen.

I worked a Lightning Fest one year at KCIR here in Kansas City, Missouri. Two very fast NBS Lightning trucks, way into the 8's and 9's. Truck in the right lane came into the truck into the left. Totaled both trucks, both drivers walked away unhurt. They both were good sports, knew how to handle the situation.

So please, re-think you're statement. Or think before you make a comment like that. If anyone is an idiot, it would be you.
Umm... I'm gonna agree with him. The guy was an idiot and didn't know how to control his vehicle. He could have went on the brakes, but didn't. He could have tried to counter steer, but didn't. He was a jack-ass with the way he acted and driven his POS.

Umm... I'm gonna agree with him. The guy was an idiot and didn't know how to control his vehicle. He could have went on the brakes, but didn't. He could have tried to counter steer, but didn't. He was a jack-ass with the way he acted and driven his POS.

I'm sorry, but when you are already going that dirrection, you cannot correct it. It's going that way, just hold on. How skilled you are behind the wheel wont help.

Edit: Read that the car broke a axle. Something like that is hit and miss. It can happen so fast, you cannot react quick enough. From watching the video, it was instant. Especially at full throttle, the amount of skills wont help you.

This is my opinion. An opinion from someone who has been around this situation many times. So take it as you will.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but when you are already going that dirrection, you cannot correct it. It's going that way, just hold on. How skilled you are behind the wheel wont help.

Edit: Read that the car broke a axle. Something like that is hit and miss. It can happen so fast, you cannot react quick enough. From watching the video, it was instant. Especially at full throttle, the amount of skills wont help you.

This is my opinion. An opinion from someone who has been around this situation many times. So take it as you will.

As I said again. It's not hard to go on the brakes. I'm pretty sure that'll stop him. Anybody with enough common sense would notice "OH SHIT I BROKE SOMETHING".
Being "around" wrecks does not make you "more knowledgeable" about driving skill.

wow so sorry to here about this, its good to see both drivers are ok and well. your 2g has been a big inspiration to me, i show the video of you going 10's with the 16g evo to a friend of mine thats been trying to get his s372 powered teg to low 9's, and he gets mad LOL. i hope you'll back soon and get your record that your looking for.

That sucks that guy had no reason to be a dick hell he shoulda been apologizing and offering to help fix your car at least, i would have if i crashed into someones car like that he obviously cant drive.

i wouldve gone off on that dude, all the money in that car and he didnt try to turn or anything then said that sh!t to your girl, after talking trash about your car? that wouldnt fly with me, sorry but some people need to be taught a lesson.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back