The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Strange rod bearing damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was using a hose clamp and safety wire for awhile around the oil filter out of paranoia when i first built the motor after hearing some horror stories.

That's crazy. One thing I've never had an issue with in 17 years of ownership was an oil filter. Even now being on track. Never an issue. Of course now that I've said that.......

I've had every issue you can imagine, and then some.

I had an oil filter housing crack almost in half from vibration. Never heard of such a thing. A month later the same thing happened to my buddy.

The only real vibration issue I've had is the turbo studs coming out of the manifold. After Lime Rock, the turbo was pretty much only being held on by the downpjpe

I am an auto and full solid mounts and not had mine vibrate off! I have nevee had an issue with any oil filters on any car actually. Alot of it most of the time is human install error! Bekieve it or not but its not just hand tight like they say! Never is, i always always make it more snug then they suggest, while its a tad harder to remove it works

The only real vibration issue I've had is the turbo studs coming out of the manifold. After Lime Rock, the turbo was pretty much only being held on by the downpjpe

Are you using the factory washers on each bolt, 2 per bolt... and torquing to spec w/ anti-seize? I haven't ever had an issue with those bolts backing out.

The only time i've had an issue with an oil filter backing off was when I had a sandwich cooler and the inner threaded portion that holds the sandwich on wasn't tightened properly with a deep socket and loc-tite. Once I did that, my sandwich cooler/oil filter never came loose again but before that it was a problem more than once.

Are you using the factory washers on each bolt, 2 per bolt... and torquing to spec w/ anti-seize? I haven't ever had an issue with those bolts backing out.

The only time i've had an issue with an oil filter backing off was when I had a sandwich cooler and the inner threaded portion that holds the sandwich on wasn't tightened properly with a deep socket and loc-tite. Once I did that, my sandwich cooler/oil filter never came loose again but before that it was a problem more than once.

His turbine flange we found out was on the loose spec of the 3/8-16 thread pitch from
The flange manifacturer and the stud wobbled even when seated in. A torque tube stud would help but ultimately we ended up tapping it the next size up m10x1.25 and the studs are more snug now. Hopefully these issues go away now.

^^Good info... yeah that definitely would cause an issue especially with the thermal expansion and contraction that the manifold/turbine housing sees. I tell you what though, the two stock washers per stud/bolt definitely make a huge difference in securing the turbo to the manifold until you want to take it off.

This a full tube manifold with a T4 flange. Not running a stock manifold.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back