The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Main bearing and Rod bearing ????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIGHREV

Probationary Member
Apr 18, 2005
WORCESTER, Massachusetts
I wanna rebuild my motor this winter .
I have something I don't understand .
My question is, do I have to clean the bearing before I install it :confused:
thank you for the help

You are using new bearings correct? The bearings should come sealed in a plastic bag. It is very important that the backside (outside diameter that mates with the rod and mains) is clean. The same is true for the rod and main surfaces that mate with the bearings. If these surfaces aren't clean you run a higher risk of spinning one of the bearings. As for the inside of the bearings (that mate with the crank), they should be liberally covered with an assembly lube or combination of white lithium grease and oil. Care should be taken to not get this assembly lube on the surfaces meantioned above. Also it is important to not touch the inner diameter of the bearing with your hands. The babbit coating can actually pick up the oil from your hands and cause a spot where the oil will tend to be repelled (not a good thing).

Hope this helps you and good luck with your rebuild.

If you accidentally touch one don't freak out and buy a completely new set. Just be careful and try not to touch them too much. I would recommend paint thinner. As long it drys completely it will be ok. I would stay clear of brake clean for this as it might hurt the babbit coating. Paint thinner would also be good to use to clean the block surfaces with, just not the bearings. Just give the outside of the bearings a good wipe down with a clean rag.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back