The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Starting Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djailer

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 29, 2010
Tacoma, Washington
I checked the other Starting Problem threads and none of them was on point enough.
97 GST - no major mods, 157K, everything is running fine and has been doing so for years. The only thing I keep my eye on is when it dies after a drop to idle. It only happens once every month or two so I am not sweating it that much.

Yesterday I pulled into the Y, it dies as I slow and make the turn into the lot. Drop the clutch and it picks right up so I keep on going and park. 2 hours later I come out, turn the key and it turns over nice and strong but no go. There is a nice long hill in the parking lot so I roll down in 2nd gear. Chug, chug, chug but no fire. Several tries later I figure I am towing it home and trying to figure it out in the last few hours of rainy daylight. All the dash lights lit up, the radio works, the lighter socket works, flashers work. The only thing that makes me think hmmmm is the power windows don't work. The door locks do, just not the windows. About 45 minutes later I am on a line behind my wife's truck and about 100 yards down the road I figure WTH, why not. It turns over and fires up fine. Now my windows work and I got home fine. It worked like a charm today and no further signs of a problem.

Has anyone seen this anywhere before? Turns over great, no power windows, but all the other electrics seem to be fine. It just doesn't seem to fire. I listened for the fuel pump to charge up and didn't hear that either. I had my ear right up against it while someone else turned the key a few times. I didn't think to check more electrics but it seems something wasn't working - temporarily. Is the fuel pump on the same circuit as the windows? Fuses all look fine so no problem there.

Hopefully I don't have to chalk it up to ghosts in the machine. Maybe someone has seen this?

Hi how are you? your power window is not on the same relay as your fuel pump will have its own relay not sure on your car where its at since i have a 1g talon. but i would check the first to see if its indeed the fuel pump. you can test it with a test light. If your fuel pump is not kicking on then that would be your problem. seems like your getting spark ,compression but no fuel. my power windows once in a while kinda go out but doesnt make the car not run. sounds like your fuel pump was going sour but finally let go. hope this helps ya. hit me up and lets get this car on the road again LOL.

Try checking your vacuum lines for a leak, or misconnection, or replacing your fuel pump.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back