The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Starting issues - No / Doesn't / Won't Start - MERGED

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prodsm

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2002
canada, Manitoba_Canada
All "my car won't start" discussion threads are merged HERE. We've basically made it easier for those who insist upon not searching by grouping together all threads from those with similar issues so you can just scroll through and see some possible solutions. To search for info within this thread, use the "Search This Thread" feature in the black bar about 3" above what you're reading right now.

Could be anything from a loose battery terminal to internal engine damage, and literally everything in between which may involve the electrical, fuel, and ignition system...possibly even something that you screwed up while working on the car yourself. While it's unlikely we're going to diagnose and solve your problem over the internet, feel free to discuss any possible solutions.

I live in Canada and right now its not very warm out, about -30c
my car does not have a block heater too keep it warm.

I tryed to start my car this morning and it wouldent start, ive had this problem before but this time, the car doesnt crank at all it just makes a sound that sounds like an electric drill.

Whats wrong.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 97 auto gst that wont start. I have fuel,spark,and compression, timing is dead on. New gas in it ive checked everything i can think of still nothing, it tries to fire but just wont. I've checked injectors, new plugs,wires, fuel pump, the motor ran in my convertible perfect put it in the auto and now wont start. I think the car may have been under water before i bought it, but ive even replaced my ecu from the spyder into it.I put a 1g cam angle sensor in it to eliminate cas and crank sensor posibilities.No popped fuses, the tcu is still in it would a bad tcu stop car from starting i dont think it would. What could it be???

im not completely sure about this but i thought when you run a 1g cas on a 2gb you have to invert the spark plug wires. ?

get a can of carburetor cleaner or starting fluid, have someone crank the motor over while you lightly spray into the throttle body or any small opening into the air duct or intake manifold. if the engine continue running you have a fuel issue.

The plug wires don't have to be swapped until the 95 ecu comes into play I believe, I took the motor right out of one car and put it in the one next to it didn't change anything. Ill give the starting fluid a shot and see what happens and get back to you.

It's either A) firing order messed up. Or B) Coolant temp sensor is either unplugged/broken. Do you have any logging software?

Check ignition timing and the fuel pressure. Also make sure that the gas you have inside the tank is good. Also check sensors such ass crank/cam position sensor, TPS, and mas air flow. But if you do have spark and injector pulse it isnt likely to be CAS or ECU.

yea i search, but its almost impossible to find the right thread, and i obviously already checked many things before i came here to ask. but thanks for the great help. and i checked timing, but hard to adjust when the car isnt at least idling rough.

ive also been stealing parts off a running tsi when i think something is bad and it still dont help...i should of mentioned that earlier. so almost all the sensors relating to this and ecu have been swaped, and yes there both 90's.

Is your intake system solid? No leaks or anything after the maf? Are you sure your getting fuel? Spray starter fluid into your tb while your cranking.

Its solid but i havent tried either yet. i just got tired of trying things and decided to ask other dsmers.

And for fuel i'm going to do the liter test but you can smell it when cranking and when we pulled the plugs there was fuel on them...which confused me ### we checked the spark with the plugs that were in the car found one was weak so i replaced it. But the plugs are black from fuel.

agggggghhhhhhhhhhh help.......... so now i've replaced the ignition control modual (spelling) the coolant temp sensor, the cas, swaped the computer, new plugs, and still no start. i don't know which way to turn from here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back