The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Starting issues - No / Doesn't / Won't Start - MERGED

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prodsm

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2002
canada, Manitoba_Canada
All "my car won't start" discussion threads are merged HERE. We've basically made it easier for those who insist upon not searching by grouping together all threads from those with similar issues so you can just scroll through and see some possible solutions. To search for info within this thread, use the "Search This Thread" feature in the black bar about 3" above what you're reading right now.

Could be anything from a loose battery terminal to internal engine damage, and literally everything in between which may involve the electrical, fuel, and ignition system...possibly even something that you screwed up while working on the car yourself. While it's unlikely we're going to diagnose and solve your problem over the internet, feel free to discuss any possible solutions.

I live in Canada and right now its not very warm out, about -30c
my car does not have a block heater too keep it warm.

I tryed to start my car this morning and it wouldent start, ive had this problem before but this time, the car doesnt crank at all it just makes a sound that sounds like an electric drill.

Whats wrong.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Test the check connector for your fuel pump first, unless you're certain it works.

As for the cas testing.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/electrical-tech/394020-how-test-1g-cas.html

Alright so I hooked a wire from my battery to the jumper wire for the fuel pump. Tested the connector at the pump and got power but pump wasn't engaging so i think I found my problem. You should be able to hear the pump if your head is next to the tank. I dont see them being that quiet LOL.

Ok checked the MPI/all fuses and they were good. Check engine light came on for about 6-10 seconds. Then tested the pump and ran a hot wire to the test connector on the firewall and still nothing. So looks like im getting a new fuel pump on Tuesday.

Hey everyone i have a 95 non turbo eclipse and it will turn and crank but will not start. I have tested the fuel pump and it turns on when u use a battery to jump it. The fuel ump only engages when I crank it , and when I'm done cranking then it finally turns on. I know it works tho regardless when I jump it. It just won't turn on when I turn the ignition right away like u would usually hear. I checked for spark and I got spark and the plugs were wet when I pulled them. I checked the Mfi relay and fuel pump relay and tested good! Lines are not leaking, fuel filter is just replaced. If anyone has any ideas I will appreciate it! Let me know. Thank you

All connections look good. I have spark but no fuel.

Also removed former HIDs and an amp in the engine bay from the PO system.

What do I need to do? I work in 3 hours and am stuck an hour away with a non starting car :(

Where are my fuel relays? What else can I check?

have you tried maybe reinstalling the things you uninstalled to see if its even related to what you did or just a coincidence?

You've likely shorted something. Did you disconnect the battery before doing any of this? Check the MPI fuse.

This happened to me last week actually but I blew the motor fuse and the car would crank but not start.

You sure that amp was for the sound system, and not hooked up to the ignition system somehow?

When we took the amp and other related cables out, the fuel pump was rewired in somehow by the (dumbass) previous owner.

Wired it back to factory specs and she fired back up and I made it home.

Unfortunately, I am on my way to work now ;)

Thanks for the help though guys, few more steps done on the restoration :)

Oh and the 2gb front bump is NASTY! It's like ">:[ fk with me."

Alright so I hooked a wire from my battery to the jumper wire for the fuel pump. Tested the connector at the pump and got power but pump wasn't engaging so i think I found my problem. You should be able to hear the pump if your head is next to the tank. I dont see them being that quiet LOL.

Ok checked the MPI/all fuses and they were good. Check engine light came on for about 6-10 seconds. Then tested the pump and ran a hot wire to the test connector on the firewall and still nothing. So looks like im getting a new fuel pump on Tuesday.

yea i figured that would be one of the simple things to check first before you rush into the detailed stuff rule out the simple stuff!:thumb: dont get a used pump either make sure you get a new one. OEM ones are ok if you have the cash invest in a wahlbro. once you fix the pump issue let me know what happens! goodluck!:hellyeah:

yea i figured that would be one of the simple things to check first before you rush into the detailed stuff rule out the simple stuff!:thumb: dont get a used pump either make sure you get a new one. OEM ones are ok if you have the cash invest in a wahlbro. once you fix the pump issue let me know what happens! goodluck!:hellyeah:

I was hoping ti was just that and looks like it is LOL. Thank you for your help. I should know by thursday if that was the actual problem :)

Well I took my car out for the first time in 3 days because it had been raining and I have a ripped top. Anyway, the car drives weird, it jumps while I'm in gear and feels like its hesitating, kind of like when it wants to stall but the rpms are still at 3-4k. If I accelerate i feel it less. When I got home, I shut the car off. I tried to start it up again but it took me a good 4-5 key turns while pressing the gas pedal for it to finally start. Sometimes it would turn back off. I also got a CEL but I can't check it because I don't have the tool currently. I let my brother borrow the car shortly there after when ti started and he said he hit 7000 or so rpm and it kind of backfired or something and shot a cloud of black smoke out the exhaust. The idle isn't too great either. Any idea what it could be? I haven't driven it since.

Check all of your intake piping for leaks. Make sure all hoses are tight especially at bypass valve. Make sure all vacuum lines are tight. Make sure to check vacuum line that runs to EGR and FPR and boost gauge. Most likely a leak in intake piping.

i have a 97 gsx it will not start without starting fluid when cold and its a bear to keep running. once runing for about a minute it will idle normally and build boost fine im just stumped this is my first dsm build. any ideas are greatly appreciated

New o2 sensor, adjusted the BISS screw...and viola! car runs and idles pretty smoothly. The BISS was shot so I ordered a new one, should smooth it out a little more. Cant wait to start modding this thing! :hellyeah:

Did you block off, or just leave the coolant lines off the FIAV (Fast Idle Air Valve) on the bottom of the throttlebody? Instead of starting fluid try feathering the throttle to see if that helps keep it running on cold startups. Starts fine when warm?

Well I'm not receiving ignition anymore, my car turns over but refuses to start. My plug wires look like absolute shit, might as well replace the plug wires and plugs while I'm at it. I can't get the car to start until then LOL.

If it was the ecu and I wanted to replace it, can I swap in a normal gst ecu in it? Or does it have to be a spyder ecu? I have a CEL on, and I'm hoping its not the "bad ecu" code.

Changed the plugs, plug wires and tested another battery. Car turns over but it won't turn on.

My guesses

-Coolant temp sensor is bad or ecu is not receiving the signal from it.
-Major boost leak
-Low Fuel Pressure when starting
-Starter not spinning fast enough (bad starter/battery/alternator)
-Low Compression?

Tell us what you did last (or what changed) the night this became an issue. Did the car always do this? If not, what changed.

The rail is getting pressure and mantaining 47 psi I was thinking the coolant temp sensor but everyone else on here is saying it will start eventually I've only ethered it twice I don't wanna get it hooked I have a mutimeter how would I check the injectors I've never done that before thanks for all the input fellas

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back