The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

starting issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chenk18

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 5, 2009
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Hi, I am having a starting problem. I usually have to have my car crank for a couple seconds for the fuel pump to prime the lines (I think). It started making a noise where it seem to "slip" a little, but kept cranking and starting fine, so I lived with it. But Tuesday, the starter sounded like it was grinding to I final broke down to pull it and exchange it (bought one for Autozone in 09). I changed it and went to start it and it acted like the battery was dead, so I jumped it off. It started. I drove to the store to get my money back from the exchange and let the run their battery and alternator tests on it. The battery tested good (like 90% I believe they said). I went to start it for the alternator and it wouldn't start in the parking lot. Was acting like the battery was extremely dead. The car was barely turning over. After an hour or so messing with it, I finally decided to try and run a wire from the starter solenoid where the switch hooks up to the battery to see if I could get it to turn over like that. Boom, it started right up like it should. I hooked the starter switch back up.

Anyways, it has been intermittent since then, sometime I can get it to start with the key (with it turning over very slowly) and sometimes I have to go from the solenoid to the battery (with it cranking like it should). What could be the problem? My battery tested good, alternator tested good (and is fairly new, from Oriellys), and new starter that starts perfect when wired directly to the battery. I know the Auto parts store test probably aren't accurate. Do yall think it could be the starter switch?

Plus, it has been like this since I remember, sometimes when I crank it, the car doesn't turn over. I can hear the fuel pump pumping and that is it. I just keep trying it until it turned over. I don't know if this help, but it is related to my problems so I figured Id throw it out there.

And on a side note, ( don't want to start another thread, had a hard enough time making this one with my focusing problems). My turbo is making a different noise. Once I get to 0 vacuum/boost it has started making a fairly loud (louder than normal) howling/spooling (?) sound. Best way for me to describe it is it sounds like a diesel trucks turbo when I drive beside them. I know it isn't much help, I haven't look into this one yet.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back