The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Starting Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95greentsi

Probationary Member
Jul 8, 2008
bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Ok here goes. My car will start, but sometimes it will sit there and click. If i wait about 20-30 seconds, it will fire right up. When it doesn't start it does the click sound like the starter is bad. Replaced the starter with a mitsu one and it still does the same thing. Tested Battery and it was fine. Im thinking ignition switch? Any input on this guys?

How's the flywheel look any missing teeth on it. Could be ignition though also what did you use to test the battery sometimes they test out good but can still have bad cells. I'm not at all saying go out and buy a new battery but just a thought.

Is it a constant click? Or is it just after start up? You may be hearing the infamous "DSM tick" This happens to almost every DSM i have heard start up. After start up you will here a; tick tick tick [pause] tick tick tick [pause] tick tick tick? Is this correct?

I used the battery tester we have at work (i work as a mechanic). The ground is good. I may switch it to a shorter cable to see if it helps. And no, the click is when i turn the key to try and start it, like if you have a bad starter and it's not engaging, which it is. And the flywheel is basically brand new. Which is what is leading me to believe its the ignition switch

Not so much the ground, but check the positive cable to see if it's clean and tight .. for remember, DC current flows from Negative to Positive (why you pull the negative cable when working under the hood, not the positive...) why it's more helpful if you have multiple ground points heading from the battery to distrubute the current better.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back