The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Starter grinding horribly

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLOHS7844

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2011
Appleton, Wisconsin
So I had some machining done to my head and had my car down for a bit. I went to start it and was grinding terribly. Starter bolts were a little loose but I took my starter out and the teeth looked fine and I tested it which killed it in the process (don't ask) :ohdamn:

Replaced the starter and it was fine for maybe 10 seconds of cranking overall. (not 10 seconds all at once) and the started grinding a little too. I pushed in the clutch and that actually seemed to help for a second but it got just as bad as before. I had someone listen at it was definitely coming from the starter area.

I am only missing 1 transmission bolt and I just put a new one in but it was very hard to get it in. Its the bolt thats the second to the right of the starter. (Right under the oil feed for turbo) Using torque wrench I could only turn it with greater than 50ft/lbs of force but it was also less than 100.

My flywheel, which I think is oem but I have no idea if it was replaced at all, looked to be fine (through the inspection plate. I don't know exactly what a normal one would look like as far as the angle of the teeth. It looks kinda rusty. Definitely was rusty colored but it looked structurally sound.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: When I cranked in 5th gear the tire did move so the flywheel is moving when cranked. And I can turn the engine with the crank pulley just fine

with the missing flywheel bolt you most likely tweaked the alignment slightly by cranking it and thats why it was so hard to get in. Also did you use the correct flywheel bolt length?

as far as the second starter dying so fast was it brand new or a used piece?

woops reading comprehension fail. LOL

with the second starter does it seem like its having a hard time turning the flywheel or is it just grinding like its not engaging properly. also make sure you attached the positive battery lead to the correct post and the ground wire is hooked up to the tranny bolt in the stock location.

Check the followings if you have starter grind

Check Flywheel. Awd flywheel has a smaller ring gear diameter than fwd. if you have a Gst, you can accidently put in an Awd flywheel

Check to make sure start is tighten on the bell housing.

Make sure the tranny is flush against the block. Make sure the front lower bolt and rear lower bolts are tighten. At least one of the top bolt is on there.

Take the starter out and check it. Some aftermarket starter comes poorly assembled. Take the starter out and check the two skinny bolts that hold the started together.

I was getting a horrible grinding sound every time i cranked my car its an automatic 96 GST. The grinding started after i took the starter off to change my intake manifold gasket. When i put it back together i got this horrible grinding noise. The grinding got so bad that my buddie was standing outside and he saw sparks coming out from around the starter. After this i stopped cranking the car. My next step was to turn the engine over manually to see if i could hear any strange noise sure enough didnt hear anything. I decided to take the starter off and bench test it it seemed fine. I still bought a re-manufactured one because it seemed it was sticking a little. Tried it back on still grinding. Changed the terminals because they where a bit loose thought i wasnt getting enough power but didnt help. I inspected the flywheel no major damage just looks a little worn but from the grinding thats going on but like i said nothing too bad.

I had the same problem when I bought my 2g eclipse I had more problems than I think you do but make sure everything is there and thight.i pulled the transmission and found out I was missing the starter plate,two transmission bolts,and the two dowel pins.that solved my problem.

Anybody ever figure it out I also have the same problem I've changed the starter as well ran good no noise for couple days then happened again not sure why. If it were to be the wrong starter plate wouldn't it have made the noise from the start?

You probably dont have the starter sitting square in the hole, its likely leaning to one side because its either stuck on the transmission shim or it got tightened down wrong somehow, unless you bought a new starter, in that case its likely the wrong starter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back