The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Stalls when Driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsegs2gst

Probationary Member
Oct 21, 2008
Denmark, Wisconsin
When driving my 2g 420a N/T at 25mph the rpms will raise then fall from 1.5k to 1.2k and will stall randomly and die this also happens from a dead stop sometimes but more offen when car is hot. Also 2 lights that come on when/as it stalls are srs and battery. Any help or ideas would be great.... the only codes that came up are my o2 sensor and crankshaft sensor i have fixed the crankshaft and car has been running without a o2 for a few months. Car has done this once at 70mph at wot and cuts out and rpms fly from 6k to 4k and in between. Thanks for the help!

no vac link and not the fuel system but the guy helping me fix it says its the auto idle speed sensor/setter

This sounds like a crank position sensor... RPM's flailing around, car dieing, misfiring... If your car doesn't know where your crank is, it doesn't know which cylinder to fire when. About 60% of the time this sensor fails at higher temps, not when the engine is cold.

The two lights that come on only come on because your car is no longer running. They aren't part of the issue at all.

i fixed that sensor the day the car started doing it and still does it after it was fixed

This sounds like a crank position sensor... RPM's flailing around, car dieing, misfiring... If your car doesn't know where your crank is, it doesn't know which cylinder to fire when. About 60% of the time this sensor fails at higher temps, not when the engine is cold.
the guy helpin me fix it found that code thats the first thing we found now we cant find any

the guy helpin me fix it found that code thats the first thing we found now we cant find any

It could be the cam position sensor or the idle surge controller.

Is this car an automatic or manual trans? And does the RPM's obviously not correspond with the actual RPM's of your engine? I.e. Overly Fast fluctuation, or Tach reading 6k when your just above idle?

Update: I just read on AllData that in this car the PCM uses signals from BOTH the Crank Pos Sensor and Cam Pos Sensor to determine the position of the Crank Shaft. So Both sensors have to be good. I couldn't find where exactly the stock tach gauge reads from, but normally they read either from the PCM or directly from the Crank sensor.

I would assume the Idle Surge Controller wouldn't have much effect at driving RPM's, I could be wrong...

If you are referring to a lack of the front o2, it's your o2. I'll bet the farm on it. If the ecu can't read the A/F ratio, it cause all sorts of problems throughout the entire RPM band. Replace your o2 sensor and check back. If it were the EGR, he wouldn't be having problems while cruising.

I just completely removed my EGR and made some custom block off plates out of 1/8" steel. I could have bought them but, make them and I don't have to wait for shipping :)

Besides, if your check engine light isn't on, its not running right!

Just on a side note... I think if you were to take a small video of this misfiring happening and give us a link to it somehow, you-tube or what not, that might help us out.

i will try to make the video of it and will be on here soon then within 2 days

ok soo i took this to my frined who works on these cars all time... it was the EGR... we bypassed it by takin the hose off the sensor and puttin a screw in it... thanks for all the help

No problem...glad we could help. Are you going to leave it permanently bypassed? If your state has emissions or smog checks then you're going to need to get that EGR valve replaced. If not, then you can run it like it is now for the rest of the car's life. I would look into one of these though:

EGR Block Off Kit Eclipse Talon 420a - CI Motorsports

Do a web search as I'm not sure that one is listed at the best possible price. A lot of the guys on here run with these (taking out the EGR isn't really a performance mod, but it helps keep the intake clean), so there is plenty of good advice around here about which block off kit to go with.

I have almost the Exact same problem as this and so far we have replaced:

CPS, Timing belt and Balancer belt since we were in there,
Cam Sensor,
MAF/VAF Sensor,
EGR,
Coil Packs

And it still won't run right. Runs good until Hot (about 20 minutes) then Idles irradically and then cuts off. I am swapping parts from my buddies running Spyder. So any Ideas?

I have almost the Exact same problem as this and so far we have replaced:

CPS, Timing belt and Balancer belt since we were in there,
Cam Sensor,
MAF/VAF Sensor,
EGR,
Coil Packs

And it still won't run right. Runs good until Hot (about 20 minutes) then Idles irradically and then cuts off. I am swapping parts from my buddies running Spyder. So any Ideas?
Post your question in the appropriate forum. This forum is for discussing issues related to the 420A motor only. Your Spyder has a different motor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back