The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

car stalls

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

is the coil from an auto parts store or from a dealer . we get cars that have misfires and the customer try's everything and when we put an oem coil the car runs fine.

im not sure exactly how to properly test a wireharness, one of these guys might but im asuming so a multimeter.
did you inspect the wire harness as well? look for cracks,bare or exposed wires in the harness? if you see anything of that sort you can consider it toast

Can anyone elaborate on testing wire harnesses?....
Also does anyone know what would cause a car to just die and after a fuel pump replacement still not have the fuel pump prime?

Same thing happened to my coworkers Camry. When I took a look I found a tear in his intake coupler. So I would really look for vacuum leaks. Water with some soap really does the trick. If anything bubbles you found a leak.

Can anyone elaborate on testing wire harnesses?....
Also does anyone know what would cause a car to just die and after a fuel pump replacement still not have the fuel pump prime?

Power probe is just fine just get the schematics so you know which wires should be hot

Power probe is just fine just get the schematics so you know which wires should be hot

I have access to on demand 5 so I'll look there today for the schematic.
What would be cheaper to get? A test light or a multimeter?

Do our cars have a roll over switch? Or some kind of killswitch that could be tripped once in a blue moon or something?

I don't have power to the wire harness of the pump with the key on, I have power to the relay but not the pump what could be wrong?

test lights are like 5 bucks, multimeters are like 10$? been a while since i bought one. dont buy the digital ones get the ones that run off the needels an current lights..

Changed the cam sensor because it was dead but my car still doesn't start.
I noticed something today after getting past my frustration and anger, my check engine light isn't coming on when I turn the key to the on position.
Does that mean the ecu is bad?

I just had a thought. Do u have access to a real scanner all of ## symptoms match a theft system go bad. Idk much about dsm security system but almost every time at work we have a bad security system in a car we plug in a moodis scanner or versus now and there are theft codes in. Just something to consider.

I just had a thought. Do u have access to a real scanner all of ## symptoms match a theft system go bad. Idk much about dsm security system but almost every time at work we have a bad security system in a car we plug in a moodis scanner or versus now and there are theft codes in. Just something to consider.

Those 3000$ scanners?
No, i don't have access to one of those.
I tried pulling codes off the ecu and I keep getting an error message on the screen of my scanner.
Also I've noticed that my check engine light doesn't flash on when the key is turned to the on position.

my image wasn't uploaded on my last post sorry but here it is.
Is my ecu dead?

Attachments

• IMAG0107.jpg
    IMAG0107.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 58
ok, so i replaced my ecu and sure enough the car started.
now i have another problem.
i turned my car on then the check engine light comes on and along with the battery light
codes were p0117 and p1493

what the #### is going on with this ####ing car?

Any one have any ideas?
I really don't want to throw money at a mechanic I don't trust em

Well p0117 and p1493 went away with a new ECU.

Now I'm having the same issue as before, it's saying that the car is missing on all four cylinders, I really don't know what else to do here I'm stumped someone help me please

Well now since your car is running u can check all the vacum lines but I would go for the coil pack from the delear. U can always return it if it won't fix it.

haven't had a chance to do a vacuum test(don't have the tool), but I was able to perform a compression test.

readings were
1st cyl 90(first "puff") and 180 (last "puff")
2nd cyl 100 and 160
3rd cyl 100 and 160
4th cyl 100 and 160
I will be conducting a vacuum test as soon as I can
how much do the coils cost at the dealer?

Replaced the coil pack and I have the same problem, how should I conduct a vacuum check on this car? Vacuum gauge? Or is it easier to use a smoker to check for a vacuum leak?

if you say that you don't feel a miss but there are codes for misfire then there could be something throwing of the balance of the motor .i have seen harmonic crank pulleys vibrate to where the engine thinks there is a misfire . while the car is running look at all your pulleys and see if they spin straight . if one of them wobbles then that is the one causing the problem . we had a car once where the tech changed a water pump and put the pulley on backwards . the car came back with a misfire .

Replaced the coil pack and I have the same problem, how should I conduct a vacuum check on this car? Vacuum gauge? Or is it easier to use a smoker to check for a vacuum leak?

Slink, did you ever replace the MAP sensor?

Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. My 97 had issues VERY similar to yours. MAP fixed it. It's at the end of the manifold opposite the TB. 8mm socket if I remember correctly.

(Sorry for the bump of an older thread)

Slink, did you ever replace the MAP sensor?

Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. My 97 had issues VERY similar to yours. MAP fixed it. It's at the end of the manifold opposite the TB. 8mm socket if I remember correctly.

(Sorry for the bump of an older thread)

It turned out to be the camshaft sensor on my car. I found that out when I took an ohm meter and it read infinite resistance

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back