The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Car Stalls after getting gas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse98Spyder

15+ Year Contributor
May 21, 2006
York, Pennsylvania
Well heres the deal I get regular gas nothing special and after putting gas in it sometimes barely wants to start. When I do get it started rather then finding an idle point it just drops below zero and stalls. I drove about 1000 feet and it still stalled. It ONLY does this after getting gas. Starts normal anytime. What is wrong?

Eclipse98Spyder said:
Well heres the deal I get regular gas nothing special and after putting gas in it sometimes barely wants to start. When I do get it started rather then finding an idle point it just drops below zero and stalls. I drove about 1000 feet and it still stalled. It ONLY does this after getting gas. Starts normal anytime. What is wrong?

Try this next time you get gas.

1. Turn the key to the On position and wait for the Check engine light to turn OFF.
2. Then try starting your engine.

Sometimes priming the system makes it easier to start up.

You need to hook up a test fuel pressure gauge (on the side of the fuel rail) and see what kind of fuel pressure your getting at idle.

Maybe its a bad gas cap or something stupid.

BigRand said:
Try this next time you get gas.

1. Turn the key to the On position and wait for the Check engine light to turn OFF.
2. Then try starting your engine.

Sometimes priming the system makes it easier to start up.

+1 for this idea. you might even want to turn the key to on twice, before
starting the engine.

You need to hook up a test fuel pressure gauge (on the side of the fuel rail) and see what kind of fuel pressure your getting at idle.

Maybe its a bad gas cap or something stupid.

Definately check the easy stuff first, but it could be your fuel pump is just getting weak and old. Never hurts to change the fuel filter either.

Alright thanks guys just today when I put the gas in my check engine light stayed on and will not turn off think its related?

Eclipse98Spyder said:
Alright thanks guys just today when I put the gas in my check engine light stayed on and will not turn off think its related?

That is very possible, just go to autzone and have them pull the code for you. bad gas caps make people throw a CEL all the time.

Let us know what you find out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back