The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

car stalls

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No point of randomly replacing parts. Check the spark on cylinder 4 wire / coil also u can try cleaning MAF sensor. But most likely if spark checks out u have an injector issue.
If u don't have a spark tester u can use a test light if u have one.
Get a mirror and look at injector wires maybe one is rubbing on something.
You defenetly need to do a compression test as well.
Check the color of ## oil and antifreeze might give u a hint if the HG is blown
U can also check for vacum leaks the easiest way to do so at home is buy a can of Carb cleaner and spray it on vacum lines as the car is running. Be careful do its flamable.

Don't mind spelling issues I'm Polish :)

I just replaced all spark plugs for the second time now, copper plugs gapped at .050, coil pack is new I will check color of oil , am I looking for it to be like a chocolate milk type color(indicating blown head gasket)?
If the head gasket was blown wouldn't the car run rough?

I'm definitely gonna check for vacuum leaks today, and just to clear something up I'm getting p0300 THROUGH p0304 (p0300, p0301, p0302, p0303, p0304)

you shouldnt keep getting misfires that bad. you can really damage your engine if you keep driving on it. if the timing belt slipped one tooth that would throw it off big time. since you did a replacement recently i would look into your timing.

you shouldnt keep getting misfires that bad. you can really damage your engine if you keep driving on it. if the timing belt slipped one tooth that would throw it off big time. since you did a replacement recently i would look into your timing.

When I replaced the timing belt maybe 4months ago I remember that I did it wrong and I was off by two teeth and I got the code for that(plus it ran like shit) then I fixed it and it ran great, but I still had the problem with the car stalling.

Car runs great in the city, but I take it to the highway for a while and the CEL starts to blink at me then it goes solid then a minute later it'll flash again then 5minutes later etc and so on and so forth.

Driving in the city the car runs good I can't hear it miss or anything, if I leave it idling for a while it'll stall but it'll start right back up, I'm getting pretty irritated with this car and I'm starting to consider selling it, but I would like to fix it as It's my only means of transportation at the moment.

thats a tuff one man you said you did the upstream but what about the downstream o2?

I haven't done the downstream 02 sensor because all it does is measure what comes out the other side of the cat doesn't it?

It seems a lot like a fuel issue stop by a repair shop so they can check ## fuel pressure u said u changed the fuel filter how old did the one u replaced looked maybe it was to late and your fuel pump is going bad.
Btw if the check engine is flashing u shouldn't be driving it u can damage the engine at worst or burn the cat out at best.

Do you have access to a scan tool that shows live data?
If so what are the fuel trims. That will tell you if you have a fuel or spark problem.
If your mechanical timing right?

No access to live data, I'm gonna replace fuel injectors and will report if that fixes my problem.

As for the fuel filter question it looked somewhat old but bot ancient or rusted or anything like that, the gas that came outof it came out clear not black or anything.

did you put an oem coil or did you go aftermarket . we get neons with the same motor that have aftermarket coils and they don't run right . we put a factory coil and car runs great

After market, car runs good even when CEL flashes at me, once in a while it'll buck on the highway.

if your getting misfire codes and you say its bucking then i would try a factory coil. remember you get what you pay for .

But it bucked with coil it had before(and I believe that one was factory), bucks significantly less when I replaced fuel filter, spark plugs, coil, crankshaft position sensor, 02sensor (upstream).

factory coils don't last forever . is your car manual or auto cause if its auto you can try brake revving it and see if it starts to break up . if it does then it has to be coil plugs or wires .

I would try finding a scan tool with live data. you can pick them up for under $200. Its worth it and saves you just as much money than throwing parts at it. Can you hear the injector clicking?.

well replaced injectors and same shit, i dunno what else to do to this car, anyone have any suggestions?

i've replaced the coil recently, replaced spark plugs a week ago(gapped at .050), 02 sensor is new(bosch upstream), crankshaft position sensor is new, injectors are new, new fram air filter, i've cleaned out the throttle body.

The only time the light flashes at me is when i get on the freeway for a while, sometimes the car will buck and the flashing check engine light(or solid CEL depending on the cars mood) will reset itself.
i need to smog this car next month and I dont know what else to do to this ####ing car.

someone help me

Since our cars don't have maf they have to use map sensor I would look at vacum lines there I had many cars that miss like crazy when they had even a little leak around the map sensor

if you go to autozone pick up a can of seafoam and put it in with a full tank of gas. that will clean your whole fuel system out. you wont get better milage (if thats the issue) till your next fill up. clean your idle air control sensor too which is on the throttle body. that can cause your car to stall and not want to idle up right away. with a misreading iac and map sensor that will cause stalling issues or your egr is not working properly also. try the seafoam its only 8 bucks then clean your iac and go from there.

in order to clean the iac can you use any electronic cleaner spray or the mas cleaner?

ive experienced this type of situation in other vechiels? have you checked the fuel pump? when you first start the car turn the key over not all the way an listen to it? listen for the motor if its turning over right or if its struggling?

well I ran out of gas the other day and my fuel pump decided to go out too, great luck i'm having with this car.
well anywho can anyone point me in the right direction on how to install the fuel pump on the 420a?
I've seen the instructions for the AWD models but it seems so different to me, can someone help me out here?

in order to clean the iac can you use any electronic cleaner spray or the mas cleaner?

ive experienced this type of situation in other vechiels? have you checked the fuel pump? when you first start the car turn the key over not all the way an listen to it? listen for the motor if its turning over right or if its struggling?

i used to be able to hear the pump and it made it's little buzz type sound

Check your connectors at the crank position sensor since the sensor is new and at the cam position sensor, that one tends to get fried by the EGR, i had the same problem and turned out to be the connectors but i had the DTC p1390., Hope that helps.

BTW stop checking your fuel delivery, you fuel system is fine. if the car runs and drives fine, then fuel is ok. trust me this problem was a PITA to figure out since it is intermittent. Go and check those connectors and let us know what you find.

Check your connectors at the crank position sensor since the sensor is new and at the cam position sensor, that one tends to get fried by the EGR, i had the same problem and turned out to be the connectors but i had the DTC p1390., Hope that helps.

BTW stop checking your fuel delivery, you fuel system is fine. if the car runs and drives fine, then fuel is ok. trust me this problem was a PITA to figure out since it is intermittent. Go and check those connectors and let us know what you find.

But ummm, car doesn't start anymore after I ran out of gas, plus I can't hear the fuel pump going anymore, so I'm assuming it burnt out on me, but I will check the connector tomorrow, where exactly is what you are talking at(the connector that you were talking about by the egr, can you provide me a picture please)

Fuel pumps in our cars are one of the easiest to put in. Take the back seat out and tap on the fuel pump cover with a small hammer while u crank (don't go crazy and smash it)
If it starts its defenetly a fuel pump if not check the fuses first before throwing a new one in.
U can also check if u get power to the fuel pump with a test light.

Replaced fuel pump and I'm still cranking but no start, Idk what to do anymore I need this car to run by tomorrow.
I replaced the strainer when I did the pump and re used the wiring harness, is that a no-no or would it be ok to re use, when my car died the other day it kinda died like the key had been turned to off

Check the fuel pump relay?

I swapped out the relay (on the firewall closest to the passenger side) with a relay that's identical to the relay pack that's there, and I still can't hear the pump all I get is crank but no start

is there a way you can test the wire harness to make sure you have current flow?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back