The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Spring in 90 Oil filter housing. Oil cooler bypass valve or pressure relief?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragrush

15+ Year Contributor
May 1, 2004
North, Louisiana
That angled spring in the 90 oil filter housing is that a thermostat that bypasses the oil cooler until operating temps or is it a pressure relief valve? From searching posts some say it is for oil pressure relief and others say oil cooler bypass which one is it?

If it's in the o2 housing it is going to be the Oil Cooler Bypass. The pressure relief is usually in the filter. When to much oil pressure builds it bypasses the filter so it doesn't explode.

There is a relief valve in all of the DSM compatible oil filter housings that becomes a restriction at very high rpm, causing oil pressure creep. This is what people port out when they run high rpm. I can't recall the differences in the 90 housing to help determine what is this valve and what is the thermostat though unfortunately.

[Edited for brainfart]

The relief valve also is/should get ported when you remove the balance shafts. To help correct the massive increase in oil pressure.

Although i havn't heard anything about the oil filter housing effecting the fuel pressure. Thats new to me.

dragrush said:
That angled spring in the 90 oil filter housing is that a thermostat that bypasses the oil cooler until operating temps or is it a pressure relief valve? From searching posts some say it is for oil pressure relief and others say oil cooler bypass which one is it?

I dont believe that this is temperature sensitive past the oil thinning out some and lowering pressure.

You could probably call it either. I dont know what the factory calls it, but my understanding is that it sends oil to the cooler as long as there is sufficant pressure. IE.. on the free way/high rpm it would flow oil to the cooler. & a nice warm motor at idle with less than spring pressure restrict flow. That is my understanding. If some one has more info on it, feel free to add.

Hope this helps,

Jake

95blackGsTurbo said:
If it's in the o2 housing it is going to be the Oil Cooler Bypass. The pressure relief is usually in the filter.

If it is on the o2 housing, it has nothing to do with oil pressure at all.

95GSXracer said:
There is a relief valve in all of the DSM compatible oil filter housings that becomes a restriction at very high rpm, causing fuel pressure creep

Nothing in the oil filter housing will cause fuel pressure creep.

The 90 oil filter housing has both a pressure bypass and a thermoswitch. The pressure bypass is angled toward the rear of the car and has a flat top bolt/plug covering it. The thermoswitch is also angled towards the rear of the car but location is closer to the front and the retaining bolt/plug is not flat on top.

92awddsm said:
Nothing in the oil filter housing will cause fuel pressure creep.
I'm sure Kevin meant to say oil pressure creep.

92awddsm said:
Im sure. I just wanted to correct it before it went too far. Im surprised that no one caught it earlier.
Actually, someone did.

staticbrainwash said:
Although i havn't heard anything about the oil filter housing effecting the fuel pressure. Thats new to me.

Holy crap! Look at the mess I caused. :D I did mean oil pressure creep. But even writing it right there I almost said fuel presure again. I guess I spend way too much time dealing with fuel pressure problems. :)

95GSXracer said:
Holy crap! Look at the mess I caused. :D I did mean oil pressure creep. But even writing it right there I almost said fuel presure again. I guess I spend way too much time dealing with fuel pressure problems. :)
You have no idea how many times I type "reboost your computer" at work. ROFL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back