The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Speedometer not working!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse_Gs895

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Glenview, Illinois
Ok, so i have a 1995 eclipse Gs Turbo and the speedometer is not working. I have replaced the speed sensor and that didnt work. i switched the gauge cluster and that didnt work. I also switched the trans sensor and didnt work. i checked the wires and they all seem fine. I have no idea what else it could be.. help?

Have you checked all the pins in the plugs, sometimes they become bent when you try to plug them in, which results in the plugs pins not making proper contact with it's mate. Sometimes they will even pop out of the retainer clip and then wont make contact either.

95's have different spline count on the speedo gear on the sensor than the 96-99's. Did you use the original one from your trans or the replacement one?

You could also, just remove the sensor and stick your finger down there to see if you can feel the gear on the diff.

Yeah, so im missing one of the gears.. And im pretty sure thats whats making my speedometer not work. I dont have the right tools to drop the trans so im gonna take it to the shop. Hopefully thats whats making my speedometer not work! Thanks guys!

95's have different spline count on the speedo gear on the sensor than the 96-99's. Did you use the original one from your trans or the replacement one?

Yeah i used the original one. The sensor seems fine.

If you spin the vss, does the gauge register anything?

If you spin the vss, does the gauge register anything?

No it doesnt move. the needle stays in place

Ok, so apparently the gear didnt fit in the trans. And the guy i bought this from doesnt know anything about the car because he just buys cars and sells them right away. So i need to know what kind of trans i have to get the right gear to fit. Idk if its possible for people to know what trans someone has just by looking but if you could help me out i would greatly appreciate it! thanks!

So if you spin the gear on the sensor, and the speedo does not move, its seems to be either the gauge cluster, wiring, or sensor...

Yea definitely not the trans if the needle doesn't move while spinning the sensor.

So if you spin the gear on the sensor, and the speedo does not move, its seems to be either the gauge cluster, wiring, or sensor...

I have a new gauge cluster and that didnt work. i bought the new sensor and that didnt work either. and the wiring seems fine. Thats whats bothering me is that i have no idea. By the way could you like post a Picture of the sensor? bc the new one doesnt look like the old one at all. but in autozone, thats the only sensor that they have for this type of car

And the Trans is not the stock one.. and its missing a gear on it so idk.

What do you mean that the wiring looks fine? Did you test the wires with a multimeter or just look at it?

nah i actually didnt use the multimeter. i should prob use it LOL.

oh one last thing, i bought an automatic gauge cluster.. it would have still worked right on a manual car?

I have this question as well. I am pretty sure but not 100% that it does not matter which transmission.

My speedmeter and my gas hand are not working. How can i fix this prob??? While my car is running it stays at 20mph and my gas hand stays below E

It's probably the gear inside the trans. Which is a big hassle to fix since you have to split the case. I barely look at my speedo but you can use your rpms to determine your speed. Or use a navigation app on your phone that indicates speed while driving. At least till you figure out what's broken.

My speedmeter and my gas hand are not working. How can i fix this prob??? While my car is running it stays at 20mph and my gas hand stays below E

Your not suppose to hijack threads. But if your gas needle doesn't work and the speedo is stuck I would check your fuses under the dash. If the fuses are good then your sending unit in the gas tank is bad. You need to go through the steps on checking your vss like the op did. But next time read and search on the forum. There are rules to using this site.

Your not suppose to hijack threads. But if your gas needle doesn't work and the speedo is stuck I would check your fuses under the dash. If the fuses are good then your sending unit in the gas tank is bad. You need to go through the steps on checking your vss like the op did. But next time read and search on the forum. There are rules to using this site.

Is it really bad to hijack a two year old thread? As for saying you need to go through the steps like the OP did?!?! When did the OP go through steps? From what I read, it sounds like he tried throwing two completely wrong parts at it that don't even resemble the parts he took off, and tested the wiring by "looking at it". Then two years later we still have no clue if it ever got fixed or not.

Not to be rude or anything but this is old and he never posted an update and he didn't say anything bout his rpms working so thats y i asked and this thread was abandon just because he didn't let us know if it worked or not. But thanks for the tips i'll try what you told me to do

That's my bad I forgot to look at the date and I only use my cell phone on here. So when I'm scrolling through reading I only see the text and forget sometimes to scroll over to see how recent it is. I'm an ass for assuming sorry.

Hey guys,

I'm having a similar issue, only I'm not sure what's causing it. It could be the VSS, but I'm here because I can't get a definitive answer from the experienced people I've asked locally. This afternoon I did a pull, got up to about 6k in 3rd gear and where it would normally shift, the car bucked twice, violently, I instantly let off on the gas thinking the trans slipped, and it shifted down fine and drove fine from there on out today. What I didn't notice until about a 1/2 mile down the road was that the speedometer was moving completely erratically unless I was at about 50% throttle, and from time to time while slowing down. Any ideas? It's never done anything like that.

99 Eclipse GST (Auto), 3" Apexi exhaust, SAFC II piggyback, blow off, upgraded fuel pump.

EDIT: My plug wasn't in all the way, the 6k pull must have rattled it loose.

Last edited:
VSS= Vehicle Speed Sensor
Also, I'm having a problem with my speedo gauge as well, and before anybody jumps my case, i have search far and wide for what i'm looking for.
So i have a 98 eagle talon 5 speed base. I changed my sensor about a month ago and everything worked fine. I was driving a few weeks ago and the speed gauge just dropped to 0mph.
I figured i just got a faulty sensor, but when i pulled off the sensor, the plastic gear fell off, in peaces!!
I havent been able to locate a place that can sell me a new one, can some body help me out. Or atleast let me know what to call that damn thing!! other than a speed sensor gear. Everytime I ask somebody about it, they look at me like i'm stupid, but i don't know what else to call it!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back