The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

BOV not working

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xX-ProudDSM-Xx

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 16, 2011
Pomona, California
Ok so I just recently installed a FMIC. After everything I connected everything back and I rev my car and I can't here the BOV. I have a HKS BOV.

I was thinking it could be that it doesn't observer much pressure to make it blow. I twisted a couple of times in accident and I'm thinking I might of just messed up the ring.

Any clues?

And would a oil leak have to do anything with the BOV

Last edited by a moderator:
with the fmic it will be harder to blow it off at idle as it now has longer route to get the boost to the intake mani, assuming u didnt use short route piping, u made sure the vaccum line was reattached? have u driven it, does it blow off that way? oil leak has nothing to do with it, sounds like its not getting the vaccum to pull it open,

with the fmic it will be harder to blow it off at idle as it now has longer route to get the boost to the intake mani, assuming u didnt use short route piping, u made sure the vaccum line was reattached?

Has absolutely nothing to do with the issue.

OP, where do you have your vacuum lines run? Do Not run it to the ports on your throttle body because they have tiny holes and can't supply the needed air to move that diaphragm, regardless of what you have previously read on the internet. You can run it to a port on the intake manifold seeing as how that sees pressure and vacuum and is wide enough for plenty of air supply.

Does your BOV have two ports on it? Upper and lower? If so, with the upper hooked up to a good vacuum line, does the lower port have vacuum pull on it? If so, your diaphram is bad which will keep your BOV from working, and will cause a nasty vacuum leak/boost leak.

I'm skeptical about it because when my friend had it, he also had the front mount and it worked perfectly.

I already tried the vacuum hose from the intake manifold to the BOV. Then I tried the BOV to air intake. I really dont know what it is. My previous BOV worked perfect, but the HKS one doesn't.

I kinda feel like a lot of air is coming out from somewhere ( boost leak)

did you do a vac. test on the bov. the seals inside the bov may be bad.
another thing to do would be a pressure test on your ic piping.

You really need to try to build some boost to see if it actually works. Revving in neutral produces much less load on the engine.

Take it for a spin and build boost, see if it blows off.

As BurrowZ said, take the car for a drive, make sure it sees boost and then listen for the bov.

You don't build boost when free-revving in neutral, and atmospheric pressure leaving the bov doesn't produce as much noise.

Also is the bov a knockoff? I opted to install the free knock-off that i got from a friend, however the check valve inside wasn't very effective and the spring was too stiff. Currently the bov doesn't have a spring at all, but I am much happier without compressor surge :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back