The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

Sorry for all the human checks on page load

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Founder & Zookeeper
8,926
4,901
Nov 12, 2001
Newcastle, California
We've been getting hammered by AI bots the last couple of days, swarming the site, scraping our content to feed their answer engines. The Meta bot was the worst, by far. We have a temporary block in place for the bots so our server doesn't get dragged down to a crawl with all the millions of requests coming through. That is why you're seeing all the human checks when trying to load a page. Sorry about that. But this is the new reality for website owners. AI is really doing hitting everyone hard.

First, they drown your site with bots, to the point that it slows down the server so much that humans can't use it. Then they provide all the information from your site in AI answers, largely negating the need for the humans to ever visit the site. You can see how that's going to become a problem before too long.

I don't know why I imagine the AI scraping bots looking like the Sentinel bots from The Matrix :)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
 

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
 

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Just hate it is being so forced on everything. Should be opt in, not out. Basterds!
Well, websites can choose to block all AI bots permanently. But if you do that, your content will not show up in AI answers, so you get even less visibility. Websites get screwed either way.
 
I was wondering if it's me considering I'm connecting from Europe LOL
As mentioned by @Christo , I wish AI wasn't force fed to everyone from every direction but I guess it's just a new reality, whether we like it or not. We can only hope it won't be like that forever and that bubble will eventually burst.
 
I was wondering if it's me considering I'm connecting from Europe LOL
As mentioned by @Christo , I wish AI wasn't force fed to everyone from every direction but I guess it's just a new reality, whether we like it or not. We can only hope it won't be like that forever and that bubble will eventually burst.
The more people that start using it, the less chance there is of it being a bubble. And everyone seems to be using it now.
 
Well, websites can choose to block all AI bots permanently. But if you do that, your content will not show up in AI answers, so you get even less visibility. Websites get screwed either way.
Blocking AI bots permanently would be fine and preferred by me. I'd rather have a site that's usable and not slowed down to a crawl. I always do site searching with the Tuners search - or are you saying even that is now really AI doing the searching?
 
Blocking AI bots permanently would be fine and preferred by me. I'd rather have a site that's usable and not slowed down to a crawl. I always do site searching with the Tuners search - or are you saying even that is now really AI doing the searching?
Problem is, search engines like Google use AI bots too, so if you block those, you get found less in the search engines. :banghead:
 
Yeah the "Zero-Click Shift" is causing problems for a lot of people. I have to think that it increases your cost of operation and/or reduces your ad revenue?
That's a huge complaint among website owners, bloggers, etc - it affects all content creators and content sites in some way.
 
If you have ever seen my comments before about AI you know I’ve been claiming this has been happening for some time, there was once a time where tuners was behind an inaccessible wall, then came all the new profiles……………

I’m all for gate keeping. And support any means to do so.

May DSMTuners survive the AI apocalypse.
 
If you have ever seen my comments before about AI you know I’ve been claiming this has been happening for some time, there was once a time where tuners was behind an inaccessible wall, then came all the new profiles……………

I’m all for gate keeping. And support any means to do so.

May DSMTuners survive the AI apocalypse.
There's a difference between the bot activity that is hammering our server and what you described in the past.

You're saying AI bots are registering for accounts on the site with usernames and all (and suggesting they couldn't in the past? I'm confused as to how that would have been the case). That isn't the type of AI bot activity we're dealing with at the moment.

What we (and most all other content-rich websites) are dealing with is sort of like a coordinated DDoS attack, where our server is getting millions of requests from bot machines, which the server can't handle - but the intent isn't to crash the server, it's to absorb and catalog all the content so it can answer questions related to that content in its own interface. It just happens to crash the server too.
 
Thanks for explaining the distinction but yes what you assessed from my comment is what I meant.

When I was in grad school I had to study AI, ML, a bunch more boring 🥱 acronyms- I am not a CS or anything in the discipline!!

But when I was instructed to use AI to learn AI I began conducting a series of test through out a few years, an I noticed specifically for DSMTuners there was once a time were CHAT and the other free
Models did not have acces to any of the info on these sites.

A few years later I noticed the same bots were now not only able to access : site Info but also member information EX: member_X said ……….

But it could now provide images…..unless things have changed (I think they have at one point) images have always been locked behind registration, I concluded after some conversation with peers that what may most likely be occurring is the following


A) fully automated agents are using human created accounts.

B) existing accounts are being recruited to provide content.

Why, because if one person can conceive it, I can be created.

This may be completely different from what is currently occurring, but I do believe it’s all relevant.
 
Thanks for explaining the distinction but yes what you assessed from my comment is what I meant.

When I was in grad school I had to study AI, ML, a bunch more boring 🥱 acronyms- I am not a CS or anything in the discipline!!

But when I was instructed to use AI to learn AI I began conducting a series of test through out a few years, an I noticed specifically for DSMTuners there was once a time were CHAT and the other free
Models did not have acces to any of the info on these sites.

A few years later I noticed the same bots were now not only able to access : site Info but also member information EX: member_X said ……….

But it could now provide images…..unless things have changed (I think they have at one point) images have always been locked behind registration, I concluded after some conversation with peers that what may most likely be occurring is the following


A) fully automated agents are using human created accounts.

B) existing accounts are being recruited to provide content.

Why, because if one person can conceive it, I can be created.

This may be completely different from what is currently occurring, but I do believe it’s all relevant.
Yeah, and in all reality, there is no good way to keep it out. As you said, any good roadblock can be circumvented. Especially by models that are far smarter and more sophisticated than most average human software programmers. Even the security checks that are in place now aren't necessarily keeping them all out.
 
Man they are draining the site. Its crawling today
I turned off the security setting blocking them all, and set up specific blocks on some of them, so that humans would no longer get the security check. I'm not seeing a slowdown on my end. I take it you are?
 
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Latest Classifieds

  • For sale 2g 2g AWD auto trans case
    2g AWD auto trans case. No broken bolts or stripped threads. Bead blasted case will look new...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • For sale 2g 2g GST auto trans case
    2g auto trans case. With bearing plate and end case covers. Good condition. Trans was like...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • Wanted 2g 2g radiator support
    Im looking for a radiator support if anyone has one
    • Fundsm
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 4G63 3 inch Magnaflow SS high flow cat. CA approved.
    3 inch Magnaflow stainless cat. High flow. 18.25 inches. Flange holes are 4 1/8 center. Has...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • For sale 4G63 Race parts.
    Brand new seal in box Kigglys HLA 175$Kigglys 12 tooth billet crankshaft triggel setup 250$...
    • GST2012GSX
    • Updated:
    • Expires
Back
Top