1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Smoking out my exhaust. I think I know the issue...

Posted by gadams, Aug 23, 2019

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. gadams

gadams Probationary Member

Joined Mar 22, 2019
    Manchester, Maryland
    So this is something I've been chasing since I did my build. A little context:
    I bought a car with locked up motor. I pulled the motor and rebuilt, bought another chassis to put the motor in, its currently got 700 miles on it. Just fixing up a few small issues. One issue I can't seem to get around is my exhaust keeps blowing out whitish/blue (oil, just not oil from combustion chamber) smoke. I pulled my turbo and header to find everything completely dry, It doesn't appear to be bad valve seals, turbo seals.

Heres the interesting part... The downpipe is bone dry. completely just like the head/turbo.
    The tailpipe on the other hand. Is COATED in oil. Like you touch it and your finger is very wet. I just remembered the previous owner of the chassis (and back 1/2 of the exhaust I'm running) Blew his turbo before pulling the motor and selling the roller to me. I betcha I'm smoking cuz of all the oil he probably dumped into his exhaust system. My question is can that oil really last 700 miles and not be burned off?

I know they make exhaust flush kits. I'm more than willing to clean with some solvents too. Just want to see what other people say.

2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Sounds like the residue is remaining and burning off. Depending on how much oil got in there it could be pooled up in places too. I'd remove it and clean with with mineral spirits etc then let it drain/dry fully before reinstalling.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019

Street Build 164  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

257  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 792  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Turbo and downpipe run much hotter than the back half of the exhaust... it could be burning off the oil much faster as you get closer to the turbo. 700 miles and still wet is concerning, but until you flush it out and start fresh, its just a guess, at best.

Good luck, and please post the resolution once you figure it out.

Street Build 6K  15

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    ThunderChild likes this.
  4. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Yes, the oil can be in there for thousands of miles, coolant same thing, if you have a muffler its likely that the insides have absorbed oil or coolant and will take time to get rid of it.

Drag Race Build 2K  16

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. gadams

gadams Probationary Member

Joined Mar 22, 2019
    Manchester, Maryland
    I'm a bit late to respond but if anyone is still watching this thread or comes across it in the future. The smoke ended up being my turbo. While I had it off before i swapped a different one I had. Sure enough doing that was all it took. No more smoking. Never took the back 1/2 of my exhaust off. I guess the reason it seemed dry up front by the turbo/downpipe was due to the temperature difference from the front to the back. Thanks everyone for their input :D

BLACK'98DSM likes this.