The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Smoking out my exhaust. I think I know the issue...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadams

Probationary Member
Mar 22, 2019
Manchester, Maryland
So this is something I've been chasing since I did my build. A little context:
I bought a car with locked up motor. I pulled the motor and rebuilt, bought another chassis to put the motor in, its currently got 700 miles on it. Just fixing up a few small issues. One issue I can't seem to get around is my exhaust keeps blowing out whitish/blue (oil, just not oil from combustion chamber) smoke. I pulled my turbo and header to find everything completely dry, It doesn't appear to be bad valve seals, turbo seals.

Heres the interesting part... The downpipe is bone dry. completely just like the head/turbo.
The tailpipe on the other hand. Is COATED in oil. Like you touch it and your finger is very wet. I just remembered the previous owner of the chassis (and back 1/2 of the exhaust I'm running) Blew his turbo before pulling the motor and selling the roller to me. I betcha I'm smoking cuz of all the oil he probably dumped into his exhaust system. My question is can that oil really last 700 miles and not be burned off?

I know they make exhaust flush kits. I'm more than willing to clean with some solvents too. Just want to see what other people say.

Sounds like the residue is remaining and burning off. Depending on how much oil got in there it could be pooled up in places too. I'd remove it and clean with with mineral spirits etc then let it drain/dry fully before reinstalling.

Last edited:
Turbo and downpipe run much hotter than the back half of the exhaust... it could be burning off the oil much faster as you get closer to the turbo. 700 miles and still wet is concerning, but until you flush it out and start fresh, its just a guess, at best.

Good luck, and please post the resolution once you figure it out.

Yes, the oil can be in there for thousands of miles, coolant same thing, if you have a muffler its likely that the insides have absorbed oil or coolant and will take time to get rid of it.

I'm a bit late to respond but if anyone is still watching this thread or comes across it in the future. The smoke ended up being my turbo. While I had it off before i swapped a different one I had. Sure enough doing that was all it took. No more smoking. Never took the back 1/2 of my exhaust off. I guess the reason it seemed dry up front by the turbo/downpipe was due to the temperature difference from the front to the back. Thanks everyone for their input :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back