The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

smoke coming off exhaust manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darthvadar tsi

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 9, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
There is a little bit of smoke coming off of my exhaust manifold and it hasnt been droven a lot it sat for a few weeks also the weather is around 20 degrees. Do i have something to worry about or is it just those factors or something else? Thanks
Steve.

Is it coming from where the gasket is? Did you change any fluids/add fluids and maybe spilled a little? What does it smell like?

Worst case scenario is a cracked valve cover. Most likely just a bad valve cover gasket. Or you could have just spilled some oil. Is there oil in your spark plug wire "valley"?

Well lets say I do have a cracked valve cover gasket, would it harm any other parts if I drove it like that? But its fairly clean i dont think oil got in there .

His exhaust Manifold is cracked. Mine does that too when I first turn it on. I picked up a sbr one and will replace this weekend

If it is cracked, did you drive with it like that for a little while? If not could I?

You could remove the top heat shield from the manifold so you could see what's going on a little better.;) If it's a crack you will surely see it coming right out when you start the car and you should hear some ticking type noise from the area. If not, you might see some oil running down from the valve cover around where the manifold bolts up to the head which is burning off. Or maybe you just had some condensation/moisture on the engine from having it sit in the cold garage, outside, or wherever you have it and there's nothing wrong with it.:)

So, if you really want to know what your problem is you are going to have to figure out what exactly is going on. Good luck:thumb:

Two suggestions:

1.) wipe off any crud on the head from the valve cover down the the exhaust manifold. Run the car. If there's more oil, you're getting oil seeping through the gasket.

2.) As stated, take off the manifold heat shield and look for cracks. Extremely commonplace. I had one crack right in where the four runners come together.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back