The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Slow Trap Speeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChvyKc

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2003
Cayce, South_Carolina
Finally got to the track this weekend and I am dissapointed with my times. I bettered my times from the last trip, but I am still not satisfied.

I know one of the reason that the times were slower is because the track wasn't prepped worth a crap. I was actually having problems hooking up. I could come around the water box and let the clutch go at 6,000 and it would break all four tires loose. It was just a ton of rubber left on the track after the full race cars ran and they wouldn't prep the track for us.

My best time was as follows:

60' 1.831
1/8 8.561
MPH 81.450
1/4 13.461
MPH 99.010

You can see by the times that I just don't have any top end. Any suggestions on what would help that out? UICP, water injection, etc. I was figuring that I should be low 8's in the 1/8 and high 12's in the 1/4 with the mods that I have.

Check out my profile to see what's done to the car.

Not for nothing or tryna make u feel bad...but i trapped 98 mph with my fwd with a 2.7 60' with alot less mods then you...I like ## setup as i plan on going with the sameone in the near future...When i ran i had full exhaust, stock 450's, MBC set to 14psi, 14b, david brode UICP,2g elbow...man to be honest that david brode uicp made the 2nd biggest gain on my car ive ever felt (1st was downpipe)...but this UICP made me really believe if it can help me this much on a SMIC...i can only imagine wut a FMIC with proper piping might be. I say shoot for the david brode UICP for 100 bucks (cant remember price but around there)...u will not be dissapointed! :thumb:

Throw an uicp in the mix with some water/alky/meth injection and your times will drop immensly. The problem it sounds like you are having is that your stock smic is heat soaking really bad and causing you to have timming pulled in third gear and fourth(if you use it, I haven't driven an awd in nearly a year I forgot the gear ratios). Second I wouldn't be to dissapointed your trapping the same as a gt35r sti that was at the track the other day when I was there. Then how would you feel? haha dsms are great.

98eclipseRS said:
Throw an uicp in the mix with some water/alky/meth injection and your times will drop immensly. The problem it sounds like you are having is that your stock smic is heat soaking really bad and causing you to have timming pulled in third gear and fourth(if you use it, I haven't driven an awd in nearly a year I forgot the gear ratios). Second I wouldn't be to dissapointed your trapping the same as a gt35r sti that was at the track the other day when I was there. Then how would you feel? haha dsms are great.

The intercooler isn't extremely hot, it does get warm and you can feel timing being pulled at the end of the run. Fourth gear just isn't there when I hit it. Third pulls hard all the way through, so I was guessing that I am probably heating soaking the intercooler in third and the ecu is pullling timing in fourth to compensate so I don't blow the motor.

log one of your runs and pm it to me..chances are its all in the tune. what is your safc settings on hi throttle? what boost are you running? too much boost in stock SMIC will hurt you alot also. when i had close to the same mods on my FWD, other than i had 14b and 680's, if i ran more that 20-21 psi it would run like ass...i pretty much had to run a race gas tune to get it to run good at all. pump gas just wasnt happening.

overdoseheroin said:
log one of your runs and pm it to me..chances are its all in the tune. what is your safc settings on hi throttle? what boost are you running? too much boost in stock SMIC will hurt you alot also. when i had close to the same mods on my FWD, other than i had 14b and 680's, if i ran more that 20-21 psi it would run like ass...i pretty much had to run a race gas tune to get it to run good at all. pump gas just wasnt happening.

My logger is out of commision right now. I am basically trying to tune strictly off of 02 voltage which sucks. I could never get MMCD to run properly and I don't have to money to get another logger right now. I plan on going DSMLink before long anyway. I am running right at 21 pounds right now. I think that I might try turning it back down to 19 to see if the car picks up any.

ChvyKc said:
My logger is out of commision right now. I am basically trying to tune strictly off of 02 voltage which sucks. I could never get MMCD to run properly and I don't have to money to get another logger right now. I plan on going DSMLink before long anyway. I am running right at 21 pounds right now. I think that I might try turning it back down to 19 to see if the car picks up any.

back it off to 19 psi and zero out the afc settings. with that boost and only on 550's and 2g mas you shouldnt really need a whole lot of fuel tuning , especially on pump gas. me with 680's at 22 psi and a fmic, i only had like maximum of 6% fuel taken out top end. try turning it down and zeroing the afc out. keep us updated on the results. :thumb:

CanadianTSi said:
You are most likely knocking on the top end which is killing your timing and MPH...

That's kind of what I was figuring. I am going to try to get my logger working again. For some reason, when was trying to log with MMCD the low fuel trim would never go down. I could make it go up really quick by richening the AFC up but it would never go down. Any idea on why that would happen?

ChvyKc said:
The intercooler isn't extremely hot, it does get warm and you can feel timing being pulled at the end of the run. Fourth gear just isn't there when I hit it.
By the time you finish coasting after the run and return to the paddock, any Intercooler would have had ample time to cool down. You really need to get that datalogger working to see the effects of your AFC adjustments.

FYI.. last Friday I had the exact situation in 4th and saw 30counts of knock OMG which killed my mph. Next run I added in 1-2% on the HI AFC settings and no knock and picked up 2mph :D :dsm:

DSM90AWD said:
By the time you finish coasting after the run and return to the paddock, any Intercooler would have had ample time to cool down. You really need to get that datalogger working to see the effects of your AFC adjustments.

FYI.. last Friday I had the exact situation in 4th and saw 30counts of knock OMG which killed my mph. Next run I added in 1-2% on the HI AFC settings and no knock and picked up 2mph :D :dsm:

I am going to work on the logger tonight, I lost the instructions on which pins the connectors go to the the diagnostic port so I either have to find some somewhere else or figure it out.

I will let you guys know if I can get my logger to work and hopefully get some help on this.

firebirdvert305 said:
Not for nothing or tryna make u feel bad...but i trapped 98 mph with my fwd with a 2.7 60' with alot less mods then you...I like ## setup as i plan on going with the sameone in the near future...When i ran i had full exhaust, stock 450's, MBC set to 14psi, 14b, david brode UICP,2g elbow...

First of all, AWD cars never trap very high, certainly not as high as FWD cars. Not to mention, your 2.7 60ft actually INCREASES your MPH. If your car ripped off a 1.8 60ft, I'd bet you'd drop 2-3 MPH.

You'll realize it soon enough though.

IWANTSPEED90DSM said:
First of all, AWD cars never trap very high, certainly not as high as FWD cars. Not to mention, your 2.7 60ft actually INCREASES your MPH. If your car ripped off a 1.8 60ft, I'd bet you'd drop 2-3 MPH.

someone ban this guy for retarded observation. :|

ChvyKc said:
I am going to work on the logger tonight, I lost the instructions on which pins the connectors go to the the diagnostic port so I either have to find some somewhere else or figure it out.

I will let you guys know if I can get my logger to work and hopefully get some help on this.

the red wire..or power wire goes to the pin on the top left. the others go to the pin on the farthest right on the bottom, and the pin directly above that one.

ChvyKc said:
Finally got to the track this weekend and I am dissapointed with my times. I bettered my times from the last trip, but I am still not satisfied.

I know one of the reason that the times were slower is because the track wasn't prepped worth a crap. I was actually having problems hooking up. I could come around the water box and let the clutch go at 6,000 and it would break all four tires loose. It was just a ton of rubber left on the track after the full race cars ran and they wouldn't prep the track for us.

My best time was as follows:

60' 1.831
1/8 8.561
MPH 81.450
1/4 13.461
MPH 99.010

You can see by the times that I just don't have any top end. Any suggestions on what would help that out? UICP, water injection, etc. I was figuring that I should be low 8's in the 1/8 and high 12's in the 1/4 with the mods that I have.

Check out my profile to see what's done to the car.
i told you to run c16, did you???? no. Run the race gas it will help drastically when you are pushing limits, trust me u know i did it all the time

A 14B can heat soak the stock intercooler at 15 psi no problem. The 16g would heat soak it even faster. If I were you I would run like 15 psi for now and see if you gain anything. 19 PSI on the stock intercooler would kill your top end as well.

ChvyKc said:
Check this LINK as has a pic of the diag port hookups.

As for the boost level, yea, 18psi is a bit of a stretch on pump on a 14B/SMIC, but throwing some add'l fuel in there should keep knock in check. With some race gas.. 20psi is definitely possible :D :dsm:

With 81 mph in the 1/8 mile, you should see around 102-106 mph in the 1/4 roughly.

i ran a 110mph trap in my fwd with a 2.1 60 foot on stock smic, 14b, 20psi and 105 octane turbo blue. but not to bring up the obvious...AGAIN.....just get a fmic. my car runs better now on 94 pump gas than it ever did before on 105. well worth the 750 or so.

overdoseheroin said:
i ran a 110mph trap in my fwd with a 2.1 60 foot on stock smic, 14b, 20psi and 105 octane turbo blue. but not to bring up the obvious...AGAIN.....just get a fmic. my car runs better now on 94 pump gas than it ever did before on 105. well worth the 750 or so.
Hi, I tried to pm you about the i/c but your inbox is full. I'm kinda local and wanted to check it out, send me a pm if you can. :dsm:

97Boost4u said:
i told you to run c16, did you???? no. Run the race gas it will help drastically when you are pushing limits, trust me u know i did it all the time

WTF I didn't see you slipping me any cash to pay for race fuel. I'm a little pushed for money right now since I am trying to buy a turbo from somebody (wonder who that could be) BTW, I've been trying to call you for the past two days, ANSWER YOUR PHONE. WTF

I should be able to get the logger up and running this afternoon and get some logs done while my g/f is at work. I will try to get some of the logs over to you guys so you can make some suggestions on tuning.

IWANTSPEED90DSM said:

overdoseheroin said:
someone ban this guy for retarded observation. :|

You do know IWANTSPEED is correct right?? I guess not, when you get a clue about how drag racing physics works then come back in here trying to act sick and calling people retards.

98eclipseRS said:
You do know IWANTSPEED is correct right?? I guess not, when you get a clue about how drag racing physics works then come back in here trying to act sick and calling people retards.

It makes sense to me that having a faster 60' time would lower your trap speed. You have less distance to gain speed up top because you gained that first part of the track so fast by pulling low 60' times.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back