The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

SiD's 96 GSX build (in real time)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidallmighty

Probationary Member
Jan 6, 2012
coleville, California
So here is my car, its an orange and black 96 gsx that is bone stock except for coilovers. the guy i bought it off of had no clue what he was doing and now i have to fix his mistakes. this build will include everything that i have to fix, and all the neat little goodies that will be going into the car. i will be updating this thread as i complete a phase of the build. if you have opinions or feedback on what im doing or how im doing it....by all means let me know via message or post on the forum. hope everyone enjoys

ok, so ive had the gsx for about 2 weeks now, in that time i have been working on the interior, trying to get away from the dingy old grey and shift to a new, more modern looking black interior. i will post pictures of it once i get the seats figured out. installed a car alarm last night, so now i dont have to worry about my coworkers relocating my car anymore. got a new door handle in the mail and will be putting it on sunday. ive replaced this thing 3 times since ive owned it, deffinetly going to contact the local metal shop and see what they can work out for me

380479_2195245101253_1850996009_1438148_1871180812_n.jpg

here is a picture of me working on the stereo and speaker wiring. this was about 3 days after i got the car

399558_2195244701243_1850996009_1438147_1739182268_n.jpg

this was taken while i was replacing the fuel filter...which was an epic fail, i ended up snapping the hard line and having to replace it with braided hose from summit racing.

as you can see this car needs some work, i have limited funds and limited time. so if your interested in building a gorgeous car that can smoke almost anything that pulls up next to you, then check back regularly because im going to show you how to do it for under 5k

was driving from northern cali to san diego for a dentist apt yesterday and i i decided to get involved in a few races...2 hondas, an integra, and a newer mustang. and then today i was feeling cocky and got smoked by a porsche cayenne.......da well

ok so the current problem im having is my idle and my air to fuel ratio, i cant get either to stay steady. when i was at a higher elevation with thinner air i had it set the best i could, but i was still running lean and i was idling at about 1400-1600 rpm. currently im in san diego, i had to re-adjust the the air fuel to account for the denser air down here. i seem to be running good at about 45-65 mph...air/fuel is around 13.5 at those speeds, but once i hit 75mph my air/fuel drops down to about 11.0 and the harder i push it the lower my air/fuel goes. i understand the concept, but it doesnt seem to matter what i do, ive adjusted the biss, and the iac but the car still does what it wants. ill drive for an hour with a pretty good air/fuel ratio, get off the freeway...turn around...get back on freeway, going the same speeds; and now im running lean. i know the senser has good placement, i know the iac is tightened down all the way. the tb is as clean as i can get it. i know im getting good spark because i electrocuted myself 4 different times today. so anyways hopefully i can get it figured out before i had back home on saturday

well i spent some more time on the air/fuel ratio and my idle settings today, i think i got a decent base right now, but im about 99% sure that i have some massive vacume leaks. so hopefully i can make it home tomorrow without frying my valves or blowing the engine.

i think one of my problems is when i installed the braided fuel hose from the pump to the fuel filter i added about a foot and a half of hose so that it would be easier to swap out the fuel filter when its needed. im thinkin that with the extra hose its causing a pressure issue. hopefully i can find a solution because i hate where the fuel filter is, its a pain to get to but i cant find a good place to relocate the filter too. any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated

Last edited:
ok so i got tired of replacing door handles once a month, so instead of buying the reinforcement kit that requires cutting the plastic and jb weld and all kinds of crazy stuff, i took some FASTSTEEL that iv had sitting around for about 6 months and i reinforced the door handle my way.

394928_2271559009053_1850996009_1461998_596190627_n.jpg

if it doesnt hold up, ill let everyone know

Hey, looking forward on the build..since i plan on getting a 95'-96' GSX in March and see what you do. A few things first...I see you have a decent engine bay, but the color pattern is NOT so hot...my opinion..:rolleyes: Back on the idle problem...i could see it being a vaccum problem. I don't know on "the line" change seeing a problem with that, but i could be wrong...please do input anyone...anyways not too bad..:thumb:

ok well i just got the car painted and i will post pictures tomorrow when the weather isnt nasty. good news is car is gorgeous and i love it more than all the other tuners ive had...bad news, my wife is making me sell it. so until i sell it i will continue to improve upon it. if anyone in the san diego area or reno area are interested let me know. i can also deliver to anywhere in between. i will be making the drive to san diego again on the 15th of this month. price is 4500 OBO and i will provide any information or pictures to those who ask.

if anyone is upset that i am posting my add in this forum, i am sorry but i did not have access to post in he classified section.

if you have any questions you can send me a message on here or text me at 7754500731. please do not call, thank you

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back