The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Shifting Issues while running

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dedeo

Probationary Member
Jan 9, 2019
Muskego, Wisconsin
I recently got my car back from the shop after having a 6 bolt swap done and the clutch and transfer case replaced, but the car grinds going into reverse and won’t go into first. I ended up replacing the master and slave cylinders and have spent hours breeding it and making sure there’s no air in the system, however, the car will not go into gear at all right now while running, but works perfectly when it’s off. I’ve seen threads like this but nothing with these issues, hoping for a solution since I’m pretty screwed rn.

What adjustments did you make? Shifting while off tells you nearly nothing. Nothing is moving obviously. If all you did was bleed you need to adjust the pedal. Did you have the flywheel surfaced?

What adjustments did you make? Shifting while off tells you nearly nothing. Nothing is moving obviously. If all you did was bleed you need to adjust the pedal. Did you have the flywheel surfaced?
Yep everything was machined and surfaced when the clutch was changed maybe 200 miles ago. I bled the system and adjusted the pushrod ao the pedal was even with the brake pedal. I also tried it all the way in and all the way out with no luck. I’m not sure if I’m missing anything?

I recently got my car back from the shop after having a 6 bolt swap done and the clutch and transfer case replaced, but the car grinds going into reverse and won’t go into first. I ended up replacing the master and slave cylinders and have spent hours breeding it and making sure there’s no air in the system, however, the car will not go into gear at all right now while running, but works perfectly when it’s off. I’ve seen threads like this but nothing with these issues, hoping for a solution since I’m pretty screwed rn.

And theres your problem, attempting to breed with these cars rarely works out for the car or your man-bits, metal can be sharp (ouch) and hot (double ouch). On a side note though, are you shure that the flywheel was properly stepped? have you used a power bleeder on the system?

And theres your problem, attempting to breed with these cars rarely works out for the car or your man-bits, metal can be sharp (ouch) and hot (double ouch). On a side note though, have you attempted to make clutch pedal adjustments under the dash?
Yeah that’s the pushrod into the master cylinder behind the pedal, I tried it in a bunch of positions with no luck.

Yeah that’s the pushrod into the master cylinder behind the pedal, I tried it in a bunch of positions with no luck.
And have you gone outside and pushed the slave cylinder all the way back inside itself with the bleeder screw open on it? air gets trapped in there.

Yeah I tried that once, do I just push it in and let it come back out or do I bleed it with it pushed in like that? I’m still pretty new to all this

Yeah I tried that once, do I just push it in and let it come back out or do I bleed it with it pushed in like that? I’m still pretty new to all this
You push the slave rod in, then crack the bleed screw with it held all the way in until it stops, then quickly close the bleed screw and then release the push rod, do this until zero air bubbles come out of the bleed screw, AND you will have to keep the tiny master cylinder reservoir full anytime you are bleeding the system, any time you allow the level to fall below the bottom of the reservoir, you will introduce air into the system and you will then start all over again, so I would check and refill the reservoir after every crack of the bleeder screw.

Hey I finally finished everything in the car and figured I’d post the solution. I needed a new flywheel, clutch fork, and bearing. The previous owner had beat it all to hell. Thanks for all the help!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back