The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

serious problems with vibration damper removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95 'clipse RS

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 2, 2004
Erlanger, Kentucky
ok, i have searched and tried many things with this thing. i was about to time my engine, but i cant get the vibration damper off of the crank. its confusing because ive had it off about a year and a half ago. anyways ive tried pulling it with a puller, using heat with the puller, then a chunk of the vibration damper broke off. now, im trying to cut it in the middle to open it up, because of it being tapered. i just dont know what else to do, does anyone have any tricks or ideas that i could use on this thing? it hasnt moved as much as a mm. any input would be great.

thanks guys
:dsm:

I've taken a total of five or six of these things off... all of them came off with a puller just fine except the last. I ended up cutting that one off with my die grinder. I can't recommend that though, unless you're very careful; I damaged the crank snout while cutting.

If you are not using it already, the Chrysler harmonic dampener puller, a specialty tool which can be rented at most auto parts stores, is usually the trick. 3-jaw pullers seldom seem to work.

did you use any special method in cutting it off, or did you just hack it up bit by bit? and, whats so special about the chrysler puller, is it not a jaw puller, i might try it if not, because i ripped a chunk out of the pulley with the 3 jaw puller. the chrysler puller i saw before i rented the 3 jaw one was for the actual crank pulley, so wouldnt do it for sure. thanks guys, i think i might have a couple other ideas now.

Get the right puller and you won't need to cut anything...I took used a 3-jaw puller on it and took a few chunks off before I gave up. A month or so later I got the correct tool, and it came like butter...I was quite pissed LOL.

how do i know which is right though? i mean is the chrysler one a jaw type puller? anyways, the chunk it took out of it is about the whole size of the lip of one of the jaws from the puller. its pretty big. but ill try to find somethin, what else can i do... so what type of puller do you recommend?

Yeah, I took out three junks the size of the jaws on the puller LOL. As stated, you need the Chrysler Harmonic Dampner Removal/Installation Tool. If you just ask to rent that, they'll know what you're talking about. It makes that job cake, and I'm serious when I say you'll be pissed off at all the work you went through before finding the real way haha.

EDIT: I know it's happened to quite a few people...but what you're probably not noticing is: when you're trying to use that three jaw puller to remove the pulley, you're in actuality still holding the pully in place with that center rod/beam thingy part haha. That little center ring looking section where you're pushing against is actually part of the pulley itself...thus you're attempting to pull while still holding in place, and eventually something has to give. That is why the jaws either come flying off all crazy at ya, or you break chunks of the pulley itself.

oh yeah, im sure i will be pissed haha, its happened many times before. the right tools really help. well thanks man, i think there still is a way other than hackin this thing off of there.

thanks all

oh, no. i kept the bolt screwed in basically all the way, so i wouldnt screw the threads, but still had enough room for it to give. and the center piece was on the crank bolt. i mean ive had it off before, but i just dont see how its on there so bad now.

just to let you all know, i did rent the chrysler harmonic balancer puller, and it worked like a charm, even with a chunk taken out of the pulley. that puller is the way to go everytime. :thumb: thanks guys

I did the exact same thing a few days ago.. took a nice chunk out of the pulley. Then i finaly gave in and went and got the chrysler puller and it pulled right off. Oh well, it just gave me a excuse to get the lightened crank pulley from howell which arrived today.:D

Yeah, I took out three junks the size of the jaws on the puller LOL. As stated, you need the Chrysler Harmonic Dampner Removal/Installation Tool. If you just ask to rent that, they'll know what you're talking about. It makes that job cake, and I'm serious when I say you'll be pissed off at all the work you went through before finding the real way haha.

EDIT: I know it's happened to quite a few people...but what you're probably not noticing is: when you're trying to use that three jaw puller to remove the pulley, you're in actuality still holding the pully in place with that center rod/beam thingy part haha. That little center ring looking section where you're pushing against is actually part of the pulley itself...thus you're attempting to pull while still holding in place, and eventually something has to give. That is why the jaws either come flying off all crazy at ya, or you break chunks of the pulley itself.

You're welcome LOL :rocks:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back