The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Seized hub

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sullbren17

Proven Member
Nov 29, 2012
Chadron, Nebraska
I was attempting to replace my hub assembly today and we got the caliper and the rotor etc. but the hub bearing seems to be seized not on the cv axle but where the bearing slides into and I put wd40 rust eating oil on it and left it for awhile then I hooked a 3 jaw puller up to it and tried pulling it off but it wolnt budge I have my tire on right now and I tried to use that to pull it off. And still wolnt budge. I'm on a small budget so any cool tricks would be awesome
Thank you.

It's like take the bolts off for the hub and your supose to just pull it off my cv axle slides in and out and stuff I just can't pull off the hub. Where would I get the asinine stuff from? Do I have to order it off the Internet? And I can try to post a picture tomorrow when I get out of school.

Hubs get seized in the knuckle all the time. You need to use something like PB blaster, not wd40.. But put some PB blaster on it over night, hit it with a 3lb hammer. If that don't work you'll need to get it pressed out.

Hubs get seized in the knuckle all the time. You need to use something like PB blaster, not wd40.. But put some PB blaster on it over night, hit it with a 3lb hammer. If that don't work you'll need to get it pressed out.
You know my situation can u message me?

Always was able to use PB blaster too and break em loose, worked everytime.

I used a 3 jaw puller all it does is pushes the cv axle back almost all the way out I used the 3 jaw 5ton crysler harmonic balencer puller

I can't really rent tools here but I'm gonna try pb blaster I still haven't put any on yet but do u guys still want that picture?

some times you have to hit it like you wanna break it you cant just tap it and it slide out .if you put your 3jaw puller on it get some tension on it and smack the hell out of it after pb blasting all night

I used a three jaw puller from harbor freight and smacked the end of it side to side with a dead-blow hammer to sort of wiggle it out. Amazingly, the puller didn't break like I had expected it to. A slide hammer is probably the best option as was mentioned earlier. Heating it up will help it come out also. If you can't get it out with the puller or rent/buy the proper tool, then it's probably not coming out.

I used a three jaw puller from harbor freight and smacked the end of it side to side with a dead-blow hammer to sort of wiggle it out. Amazingly, the puller didn't break like I had expected it to. A slide hammer is probably the best option as was mentioned earlier. Heating it up will help it come out also. If you can't get it out with the puller or rent/buy the proper tool, then it's probably not coming out.

you are better off smacking the hub not the tool and as it loosens up keep the jaws tight

This soulds stupid but I don't know how I would get the axle. Out withouttaking the hub off first. I still couldnt do pb blaster or anything yet Im having family issues. But I think if I put a good hamar on it I can gut it off it is where the knuckle is if that's what youvare asking.

Could I take the axle off the stick a bar or something in it and pound it out with a hamar from the inside?

You said the axle slides in and out easily from the hub - good. Now unbolt the 2 lower arms at the chassis end and remove the damper fork bolt and the entire assembly will swing out far enough to pull the axel out of the hub. You can then try pounding the hub out from the inside (after removing the 4 bolts of course) . It helps to re-install the control arms finger tight to help hold the assembly rigid while you pound. If that doesn't work you'll have to rent a hub puller attachment that fits on the end of a slide hammer (see previous post) to get the hub out (hub puller attachment bolts onto the wheel studs).

Hey guys I put some pb blaster on that bitc then beat the piss out off it with a hamar and got it off :) thanks I bet that tool would have helped a lot but I got it off

Sorry I have been super busy. For future rust issues acetone and ATF work great. Acetone is nail polish remover. You mix it 50/50 and leave it overnight on what ever you are working on. That's what I did wen I couldn't get my axle out of the hub. You can get just straight acetone from anywhere.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back