The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Running coolant thru transmission cooler in radiator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmosiman

Proven Member
Sep 2, 2021
Elkhart, Indiana
Okay, so I MT swapped my 420a, and bought a oem radiator. It comes with a build in transmission cooler for the AT fluid, like most radiators. My question is, can I use the trans cooler for coolant.
I don't really care about the heat transfer, I'm not trying to cool the coolant that I would run thru it, but my turbo has a water line that is rather hard to run to the water pump pipe. The starter and intercooler pipe are in the way. But the turbo water outlet runs close to the trans cooler inlet, and the outlet is near the water pump pipe, so could I run a water line from the bottom of my turbo to my trans cooler inlet, and then from the trans cooler to the water pump pipe?
Hopefully this makes sense

I can see it in my head and I don't think it would hurt anything as water cooled turbos see that temp, no matter where it comes from.
I like ideas that are "thinking outside the box"!
Lets see what others think.
Marty

I can see it in my head and I don't think it would hurt anything as water cooled turbos see that temp, no matter where it comes from.
I like ideas that are "thinking outside the box"!
Lets see what others think.
Marty
Yeah, I just don't know exactly how an inbedded trans cooler works inside the radiator, and I don't want to destroy the radiator if that part of the radiator isn't made for glycol and water, ya know?

It is set up to handle over 200psi on the transmission side. I'm sure the antifreeze mix won't bother it one bit (and just 15psi), just make sure it is clean before running coolant thru it for the turbo.

I wouldn't think it's made of anything but aluminum and nylon plastic. Both materials are not harmed by coolant. Just make sure you've got everything clamped up so it won't leak and make sure there won't be any harsh angles to cause kinks in the hoses.

I wouldn't think it's made of anything but aluminum and nylon plastic. Both materials are not harmed by coolant. Just make sure you've got everything clamped up so it won't leak and make sure there won't be any harsh angles to cause kinks in the hoses.
Yeah, the real reason I want to run the coolant thru the trannscooler is because of the kinks in the water line that appear when I try to run the water line from the turbo to the waterpump pipe, under the turbo. If I route the water over the turbo ther is no kink but that's a no-go because of exhaust heat

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back