1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Rotating assembly Balance

Posted by willyp42, Sep 11, 2019

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. willyp42

willyp42 Probationary Member

Joined Sep 28, 2016
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    Hey Everyone.
    i got a new set of wiseco pistons and eagle rods with rings cuts eveything good to go.
    i weighed most of my components (minus wrist pin clips and rod bearings)
    what do you think, would you run this?
    i am kind of worried about the 1 gram difference between pistons.
    thanks,
    -Will
    upload_2019-9-11_15-20-21.png

2. Canadian_CD9A

Canadian_CD9A Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I was once told by a powertrain engineer to combine the heaviest piston with the lightest rod (etc...). If the assemblies are within a gram of each other, consider it balanced.

3. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    You have to weigh the ends of the rods and match end weights. We spin assemblies matched to within +- 1g to almost 11,000 rpms.

Street Build 4K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON and ThunderChild like this.
  4. willyp42

Joined Sep 28, 2016
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    okay thanks, im looking to spin to only around 8500, trying to max out a PTE 6262.
    -Will

5. willyp42

Joined Sep 28, 2016
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    As a Powertrain Engineer myself (Calibration) there really are good ones and bad ones, always hyperbole LOL. unless you really know them always take them with a grain of salt.
    -Will

6. jdub099

jdub099 Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 2, 2019
    Denver, Colorado
    After being absent awhile it's weird to me that there's so many questions about the necessity of balancing in the DSM world. I also have a 1965 Mustang- on our Small Block Fords we balance every rotating assembly, every engine build. It's not even a question. Doesn't matter if the crank is internally or externally balanced. It's just a $150-350 cost that you factor into your machine work.