1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

rod bearing

Posted by 95eagledohc, Oct 27, 2009

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. 95eagledohc

95eagledohc Probationary Member

Joined Oct 25, 2009
    Glenburn, Maine
    Hi im new here i just got a 95 eagle talon Esi that has a bad rod bearing just lookin for some help on what to do. Should i replace all 4 bearings or just the one that is bad.The end cap and the rod itself doesnt look bad neither does the crank wondering if i can polish it up and install a new bearing.The bearing looks more like it flatened outh than shred into peices The bearing on the left is the bad one the one on the right is an alright one. Thanx

picture

Attached Files:

2. Two4 Stroke Her

Two4 Stroke Her Proven Member

Joined Sep 13, 2006
    Cliffside Park, New Jersey
    This is just a personal opinion, but i would go ahead and just replace them all, bearings don't cost that much and could save you a lot of headaches in the long run

700  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. bme91gsx

bme91gsx Proven Member

Joined Mar 16, 2008
    Muskegon, Michigan
    if the crank is out of the car, which it should be to say that it looks good and to polish it, polish the crank and replace the bearings, all of them.

267  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 1G DSM
  4. 95'RS-T

95'RS-T Proven Member

Joined Mar 10, 2009
    Germansville, Pennsylvania
    plus one on replacing them all you already have one out then you don't have to worry about it later also plus one on the Bud light in the background :thumb:

409  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  5. 95eagledohc

Joined Oct 25, 2009
    Glenburn, Maine
    Thanx for the replies no i dont have the crank out of the car i will try polishing with it in.Its not a car im going to sink a bunch of money into. Im going to replace all 4 of them and flush the motor out a few times to make sure i get some of the debris from the old bearing out. It had some pretty nasty oil in it

Attached Files:

6. simpleechris

simpleechris Probationary Member

Joined Oct 27, 2009
    palmdale, California
    just rebuild the whole thing!!! Or swap a 6 bolt in it!!!

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

241  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  7. 95eagledohc

Joined Oct 25, 2009
    Glenburn, Maine
    im having problems i just got the bearings .when tring to put the cap and rod back together on the cylinder with the bad bearings there is alot of clearance when i tried tightening them the crank wouldnt move.The bearings on cylinder 1 fit perfect. is there something im missing do u guys think the crank is out of round or has been machined befor for a different size beaing this is pissin me off any help is greatly appreciated the caps are the same ones that came off :mad:

its weird if i switch rod caps and us cyl no.1 cap for num 4 it fits good but i take #4 cylinder cap and try it on 1 its tight it seems like #4 cap is tighter than #1 its weird seems like a different size bearing goes in it